is Marie Tortie or Calico?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just curious would you saty Marie here is Tortie Calico or other? her mother is a Torbie i belive and er father is a Modified Tuxedo .

View attachment 389883
Marie is beautiful! The terms are kind of fluid, actually, but I'd lean towards calling her a beautiful longhaired calaby (calico/tabby) beauty.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Based on that pic alone, she is a dilute (subdued/muted in colors) Torbie with white. Because she is not patched, she would likely not be considered a calico. Calico cats normally have specific patched spots of colors with white, as opposed to blending of colors seen with your lovely beauty. Just IMO.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
and her Daddy Mignon (he's a bit cranky here as i just broke up a stand off between him and his son Royal, the third cant come soon enough lol getting Royal Nutered will help a bunch. and he dosen't exactly trust the lap top when the camera is on lol he eyes it every time my cell on the other and no issues he's weird..lol)
IMG_20200904_091634.jpg

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
and her Daddy Mignon (he's a bit cranky here as i just broke up a stand off between him and his son Royal, the third cant come soon enough lol getting Royal Nutered will help a bunch. and he dosen't exactly trust the lap top when the camera is on lol he eyes it every time my cell on the other and no issues he's weird..lol)
View attachment 389908
Cats are very intelligent and perceptive. HE KNOWS.
Your feline family are all gorgeous cats and thank you so much for doing right by Mignon and letting him see his doctor! *snip snip!*:insertevillaugh:

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats are very intelligent and perceptive. HE KNOWS.
Your feline family are all gorgeous cats and thank you so much for doing right by Mignon and letting him see his doctor! *snip snip!*:insertevillaugh:
Mignon cant be nuetred for medical reasons he went under anesthesia once as a young cat and almost died the vet brought him out of it but said not to try it again, (he was put under for a tummy shave at 8 months as i couldn't afford nutering yet i wasn't working then) his son Royal(2 1/2) was due to be nuetered last year when he was a lil over a year but Covid hit and the vet shut down ecxcept emergancies as he was an older man with heart issues of his own and now we have a new vet as he retired and i do not are for his fresh out of vet school replacement who relies on lots of expensive tests and would rather cuddle a puppy than talk about your cats health issues the vet we switched to's wife will trap and have him spay/nueter and release strays near where they live even though its against city ordinance(sadly on the other side of town from me lol) and shes a certified cat groomer as well as his receptionist anyway Royal will be Nueterd the 3rd and the fighting will stop soon after.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mignon cant be nuetred for medical reasons he went under anesthesia once as a young cat and almost died the vet brought him out of it but said not to try it again, (he was put under for a tummy shave at 8 months as i couldn't afford nutering yet i wasn't working then) his son Royal(2 1/2) was due to be nuetered last year when he was a lil over a year but Covid hit and the vet shut down ecxcept emergancies as he was an older man with heart issues of his own and now we have a new vet as he retired and i do not are for his fresh out of vet school replacement who relies on lots of expensive tests and would rather cuddle a puppy than talk about your cats health issues the vet we switched to's wife will trap and have him spay/nueter and release strays near where they live even though its against city ordinance(sadly on the other side of town from me lol) and shes a certified cat groomer as well as his receptionist anyway Royal will be Nueterd the 3rd and the fighting will stop soon after.
GOOD ON YA. *Prayers* and best thoughts for the neuter op and recuperation to go very well. And yes, these times have their own set of complications and setbacks -- very glad you found a way to TNR and what others don't know, won't hurt them and WILL help cats and the community. ;)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, talk to the new vet about possibly neutering Mignon. Sometimes the reaction to anesthesia is a one-time thing, sometimes they can use a different anesthetic, sometimes they can do it with just doing one thing different (like an oxygen mask or a fluid line, etc.). Anyway I think it's worth it to look into at least; I imagine it's stressful for poor Mignon to be intact, and it will just get worse as he gets older.

Anyway, yeah, I'd call Marie a torbie with white, she's lovely!

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She's a torbie (tabby and tortoiseshell). She does kind of look dilute as FeebysOwner FeebysOwner said.
Marie is beautiful! The terms are kind of fluid, actually, but I'd lean towards calling her a beautiful longhaired calaby (calico/tabby) beauty.
I have never heard the term calaby before. I've always heard tabico.

Last edited:

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Here's a picture of a tabico (tabby and calico):

1627749158076.png

Notice the patches of color and the white base.

Here's a picture of a torbie (tabby and tortoisehell):

1627749296898.png

Notice the colors are mixed in together, almost like camo.

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmm, talk to the new vet about possibly neutering Mignon. Sometimes the reaction to anesthesia is a one-time thing, sometimes they can use a different anesthetic, sometimes they can do it with just doing one thing different (like an oxygen mask or a fluid line, etc.). Anyway I think it's worth it to look into at least; I imagine it's stressful for poor Mignon to be intact, and it will just get worse as he gets older.

Anyway, yeah, I'd call Marie a torbie with white, she's lovely!
I hadn't thought of that but you may be right or old vet was like an old time country doctor who relied on years of experiance and when he put them under he didn't use anything fancy like oxygen i assisted him with Caramels c-section easter sunday before Royal Mrie and the three who passed on were born (we lost hope at the height of the pandemic when he got out we think he must have gotten into something as he passed a day or two after we found him then we lost Precious and Houdini at the begining of the month, note Marie was the only girl lol) and it was simple he put her under placed her in a cradle device on the operating table and went to work handing me and his wife who was his assistant kittens to clean and rub (unfortunately carmel wouldn't nurse the kittens and the two that survived were fostered out to a farm where they raised goats only one survived to adult hood then the owners moved and i lost contact) but anyway i will talk to the new vet about my boy whos been a fighter and survivor from the start he was dropped at my feet before his eyes opened vet guessed about a week old then fostered with my sisters cat till at 8 weeks he refused to eat drink or play well i had been supplementing my sisters cat for him and the mother cats smallest kitten with KMR so i mixed some up and began givng him several syringes of that and water every 4-6 hours a week later i madea verry soupy surry with canned kitten food then a couple days later he was lapping it up out of a shallow dish by the end of 2 weeks the KMR was gone and i had reintroduced dry kitten food as well affter that he was pretty healthy till he got all kinds of tangles as his hair was really long at 8 months(he was born at the end of may) anyway affter he recovered from that hes seemed healthy untill a bout a month ago when he was diagnosed with Fllea Allergy Dermititis but his furs ome back and the new topical worked along with the other house tratments and hes flea free...lol Picture of Royal --->
PRK.jpg

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hadn't thought of that but you may be right or old vet was like an old time country doctor who relied on years of experiance and when he put them under he didn't use anything fancy like oxygen i assisted him with Caramels c-section easter sunday before Royal Mrie and the three who passed on were born (we lost hope at the height of the pandemic when he got out we think he must have gotten into something as he passed a day or two after we found him then we lost Precious and Houdini at the begining of the month, note Marie was the only girl lol) and it was simple he put her under placed her in a cradle device on the operating table and went to work handing me and his wife who was his assistant kittens to clean and rub (unfortunately carmel wouldn't nurse the kittens and the two that survived were fostered out to a farm where they raised goats only one survived to adult hood then the owners moved and i lost contact) but anyway i will talk to the new vet about my boy whos been a fighter and survivor from the start he was dropped at my feet before his eyes opened vet guessed about a week old then fostered with my sisters cat till at 8 weeks he refused to eat drink or play well i had been supplementing my sisters cat for him and the mother cats smallest kitten with KMR so i mixed some up and began givng him several syringes of that and water every 4-6 hours a week later i madea verry soupy surry with canned kitten food then a couple days later he was lapping it up out of a shallow dish by the end of 2 weeks the KMR was gone and i had reintroduced dry kitten food as well affter that he was pretty healthy till he got all kinds of tangles as his hair was really long at 8 months(he was born at the end of may) anyway affter he recovered from that hes seemed healthy untill a bout a month ago when he was diagnosed with Fllea Allergy Dermititis but his furs ome back and the new topical worked along with the other house tratments and hes flea free...lol Picture of Royal --->View attachment 389954
It sounds like you have the Touch and a lot of skills with at-risk kittens -- GOOD on ya!

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is so pretty as are all your cuties😻 I would call her a torbie tuxedo which I have seen defined as having more of the stripes etc. visible so they look more like tabbies than true calico( large patches of white/ red/ black) and torties smaller ( patches of red/ black) although some torties have a bit of white as well.
Also in my recent studies on cat coat genetics etc. I read an article on agouti/ tabbies which had pics of brown tabbies who have dark brown and reddish undertones as well. I will try to post the link.

Last edited: