Is Liver Really Bad For Cats?

Frank123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
On the lists of foods that are touted as being harmful to cats, some of them make sense such as onions, chocolate, etc. However, liver is also usually on these lists. If liver is really that harmful than why is it used as an ingredient in many of the cat foods, even the premium brands. I'm asking because some of the food I'm feeding my cat has liver as one of the flavors.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed a raw diet, and liver is 5% of the mix. Not more; not less. They need some liver to fulfill their vitamin A needs, but too much vitamin A can be toxic since extra builds up in the system. Liver is kind of like a multivitamin in a tiny serving size.

So...since your cat food already has a balanced amount of either liver or vitamin A supplement, then you would not want to be feeding the cat extra liver as "treats".

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Too much liver can cause vitamin A toxicity. The amount in cat food isn't enough to cause the toxicity. But it would be wise to err on the side of caution and limit foods with liver to occasional meals.

mingsmongols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Most liver you buy from your average grocery store has been prepped with garlic and onion.