Is kittens eye infected?

Jackmcbob

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all the kittens eyes are open except one has one partially closed but one has them totally shut and there crusty. I’m worried it’s an eye infection or could he just be a little slower in opening his eyes. He’s 2 weeks old.
The first picture is the one who’s one yes is slightly open. The second the crusty one and for reference the last picture is how all the other 5 kittens eyes look which are wide open.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jackmcbob

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also the one with the bad eyes feels like he’s slightly lighter in weight than the other. But he is feeding fine as I’ve kept an eye.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wipe the closed eyes clean with a warm damp cloth to clear crust and goop. Be gentle. Get a tube of terramycin antibiotic eye ointment from a tractor supply, feed store, or your vet, and smear it across the eyes 2-3 times daily. The eyes should open soon and infection will clear up. Eye infection is common in tiny kittens, but needs treating so the eyes are not damaged.

Jackmcbob Jackmcbob

Jackmcbob

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wipe the closed eyes clean with a warm damp cloth to clear crust and goop. Be gentle. Get a tube of terramycin antibiotic eye ointment from a tractor supply, feed store, or your vet, and smear it across the eyes 2-3 times daily. The eyes should open soon and infection will clear up. Eye infection is common in tiny kittens, but needs treating so the eyes are not damaged.

Jackmcbob Jackmcbob
Thought I may have needed antibiotics but thought I was going to have to pay the vet fee just to get them. I Didn’t know TSC had antibiotics for them. I have one down the road and needed to go get feed anyway. I’ll head there now. Thank you 🙏🏻

Jackmcbob

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All the Tsc around didn’t have Terramycin. They did have something next to it called vetericyn plus antimicrobal ophthalmic gel which I grabbed just incase. Do you think this will do? Or do I head the other antibiotic one? I may have to order that one online. Have been using the warm press on the eyes and there all open now. Just look sore with yellow discharge but much improved from the warm press alone.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So glad all the eyes are open now. The yellow discharge indicates bacterial infection. Terramycin would be best. It’s available on Chewy.com. It’s available elsewhere but Chewy is probably faster. I read about the gel you bought because I’d not heard about it. It seems to be more for soothing scratches and itchy eyes from allergies. It does not have the antibiotics in it. You might want to return it.

While you wait on the terramycin, brew some black tea, let it cool, and soak a cloth in it, then bathe the eyes with the tea-soaked cloth. It’s a home remedy that has helped many kittens’ eyes.

Your other option is to call a vet and ask if you can pop in and buy a tube. It does not require a prescription except in California.

Let me know what you decide to do and how the kittens’ eyes are doing.

Jackmcbob Jackmcbob

Last edited:

Jackmcbob

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So glad all the eyes are open now. The yellow discharge indicates bacterial infection. Terramycin would be best. It’s available on Chewy.com. It’s available elsewhere but Chewy is probably faster. I read about the gel you bought because I’d not heard about it. It seems to be more for soothing scratches and itchy eyes from allergies. It does not have the antibiotics in it. You might want to return it.

While you wait on the terramycin, brew some black tea, let it cool, and soak a cloth in it, then bathe the eyes with the tea-soaked cloth. It’s a home remedy that has helped many kittens’ eyes.

Your other option is to call a vet and ask if you can pop in and buy a tube. It does not require a prescription except in California.

Let me know what you decide to do and how the kittens’ eyes are doing.

Jackmcbob Jackmcbob
thank you, I would of used the totally wrong thing. Ordered in the eye cream from chewy hopefully that arrives soon. Trying the black tea on a cloth now luckily have plenty of that as I’m originally from the UK so it’s my daily drink lol. Concerned for the one who’s eyes were worst because I feel like he’s lost weight slightly.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I hope the terramycin gets there quickly! Chewy uses FedEx, so usually 2-3 days. Just keep an eye on the little guy. When the ointment arrives, you just squeeze a tiny amount on a clean forefinger and smear it across each eye 2-3 times a day. It’s gooey, but usually works quickly. Keep us posted! :)

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd just bring the kitten to the vet to be honest, with young kittens they can go downhill extremely quickly. My one foster baby had an infected eye to and he and all the others were given antibiotic eye drops. As yes its can be contagious and spread to the others easily.

Jackmcbob

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They seem to be improving. Keep using the black tea till it arrives. Now having a weird issue, one of my other cats she’s about 9months old. And since yesterday she keep going into the kittens box and laying down with them sometime with momma in there too. I can’t tell if she thinks she’s a baby kitten or trying to act motherly too them. The kittens are meowing for momma all the time if she leaves for food then my other cat meows and runs too them and everytime I remove her she will run quickly back to them... any reason she is acting this way?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is she spayed? It sounds like her hormones are in gear and she is trying to act motherly with them. The kitten’s cries are stimulating her instincts, but she may go into heat anytime now herself and become pregnant. Now is a good time to spay her. Do you have a low-cost spay clinic in your area?

Jackmcbob

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is she spayed? It sounds like her hormones are in gear and she is trying to act motherly with them. The kitten’s cries are stimulating her instincts, but she may go into heat anytime now herself and become pregnant. Now is a good time to spay her. Do you have a low-cost spay clinic in your area?
She’s not spayed yet I live in an area which provides it for free with zip code but it books up so fast. I have a spot for her late next month. If they don’t cancel again :)... with the winter storm in Texas they cancelled her appointment i had for this month after waiting 3 months to finally getting her a spot. And that explains why she’s doing that. I’ve been keeping her away from the kittens in a separate room because otherwise she just lays in there nesting box sometimes with momma kitty at the same time just getting in the way. And distracting momma kitty from feeding. Or helps them all escape when I put them away when I go to work.

also all the cats eyes cleared up well apart from one which was the worst but is nearly better after the medicine came. And it was skinny so we gave it formulated milk which has helped

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How are the kitties doing now? How is their auntie? I came across this post a little late. It is common for cats to join in "mothering" the kittens - I have even had males act that way and these are with kittens from feral colonies miles away so are not related cats. I often find myself wishing more humans were as caring for the young ones of their communities!.

baseballcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Jackmcbob Jackmcbob
Thank you! I also have a litter with one that is not opening eyes. Looking for the terramycin now, or vet visit on Monday. You're a gem!