Is kitten kibble safe for 15-year-old hyperthyroid male cat?

Gremlin's Guesthouse

Rescue Sanctuary
Young Cat
Purraise
Peanut was just diagnosed as hyperthyroid and is now on methimazole. All other lab values, including renal, are good to fair. He has lost about 5# and I'm looking for ways to increase his calorie intake in order to gain some weight. I'm wondering if protein and phosphorus levels in kitten kibble might be too high for this senior boy? He's not all that fond of Nutrical, and I hate having to force him to eat something he doesn't like all that much. His current canned food is Organix, as well as cooked chicken breast and thigh meat. His dry food is Nutrisource chicken and rice, but he doesn't eat much dry.

Anyone have any suggestions to help add a few pounds?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am sorry no one has responded to your post yet. There are mixed reviews about the protein and phosphorus, from what I have read. If Peanut's kidney values are within acceptable range, I would think kitten food would be OK to try. But, why kibble? There are kitten wet foods that would be a better option - especially considering he doesn't much like dry. What did your vet say/suggest?

Knowing what you know (which is more than me on this subject) are there any possible suggestions in this TCS article that you could try - at least until other members with more knowledge come along and offer you some ideas/tips?
How To Get A Cat To Gain Weight

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree with FeebysOwner.

Unless there’s a reason for dry, I’d focus on more calorie dense, high protein/low carb wet food.

Especially if you are concerned about future kidney health, then wet food is more important than phosphorus.

5 pounds is a lot! Hopefully getting the thyroid under control will help. We just did I-131 last year to cure our cat’s hyperthyroidism, so I know the struggle!

You might want to join this group on Facebook, they’re very helpful - https://m.facebook.com/groups/42301610484/?ref=group_header&view=group

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gremlin's Guesthouse

Rescue Sanctuary
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with FeebysOwner.

Unless there’s a reason for dry, I’d focus on more calorie dense, high protein/low carb wet food.

Especially if you are concerned about future kidney health, then wet food is more important than phosphorus.

5 pounds is a lot! Hopefully getting the thyroid under control will help. We just did I-131 last year to cure our cat’s hyperthyroidism, so I know the struggle!

You might want to join this group on Facebook, they’re very helpful - https://m.facebook.com/groups/42301610484/?ref=group_header&view=group
Thanks very much for the input. I think hyperthyroidism is deadlier than renal failure. I've begun mixing Hill's A/D in with his regular wet food, and of course 3-4 small meals a day. What is I-131?

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my experience with hyperthyroidism, weight gain is an uphill battle, especially in elderly cats. I really recommend the I-131.

I-131, or radioactive iodine treatment, is a very safe cure for hyperthyroidism. I did it with my cat who was 16 at the time.

It can only be done at special facilities that can handle radioactive waste. Your vet should be able to refer you to the closest one. It is also expensive, normally around $1500. But, the cost is usually less than buying methimazole for the rest of the cat's life.

Hyperthyroidism is a (usually benign, meaning noncancerous) overgrowth of the thyroid, which produces hormones that cause metabolism and all organs to go into overdrive. It's very taxing on the body, and the tumor keeps growing, so it gets worse and worse with time. The thyroid is also the only organ that absorbs iodine. When the body is injected with radioactive iodine, the overactive thyroid sucks it up, but the radioactivity kills the thyroid off. Due to state regulations, the cat has to stay isolated at the facility for a few days until their body has eliminated enough of the radioactivity through urine, and then you can take them home. Some changes are apparent immediately (my cat's heart was suddenly no longer beating like crazy when I picked her up), although it does take about 6 months for hormone levels to stop fluctuating and at that point the cat is completely cured. It sounds drastic, but it's actually very safe. This is the same procedure done for hyperthyroid humans. The difference is humans safely flush their radioactive waste down the toilet.

(Very rarely the dose will be not enough/too much, which is why it's best to go to a facility that calculates dosage based on a scintigraphy scan. But neither bad outcome is dangerous. Cats that are overdosed are easily treated with hormone injections, and underdosed cats require a second treatment.)

Methimazole treats symptoms, but not the underlying cause. It needs to be increased in dose as the thyroid grows, and it also can have bad side effects. If you can manage it, the radioiodine treatment is a much better option.

I agree that treating hyperthyroidism is a priority over staving off renal failure, but it should be understood that hyperthyroidism often "masks" kidney failure. The kidneys are in overdrive during the hyperthyroidism, and when that is cured, damage to the kidneys may become apparent. That doesn't mean curing hyperthyroidism causes kidney failure. The kidney failure was already there, it just couldn't be seen until the hyperthyroidism was observed.

My cat had a rough life and only lived another 18 months, but I would 100% do the treatment again because it gave her so much peace to not have that ravaging her body any more.

As far as food goes, I don't think kitten food would be too bad, although I agree wet, high quality food is probably most important. Many high quality brands are labeled "all life stages," meaning their food is nutritious enough for kittens and adults. And, avoid fish! There may be a link between feeding fish and the development of hyperthyroidism.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gremlin's Guesthouse

Rescue Sanctuary
Young Cat
Purraise
I appreciate this wonderful information so much. The article is fantastic and answers so many questions for me. I now understand some of what the vet was telling me many, many years ago when my sweet Joey was my first thyroid kitty - heartbreaking. (Joey was found after someone shot him with a pellet gun and crippled him.)

Wish I had known about the I-131 treatment long ago as it might have saved a couple of lives! After calling 2 places in NorCal, both over 300 miles away from me, finding that they no longer offer the service, and being referred to Radiocat, I tried calling them but they were closed. Realistically, his age, combined with the distance and the cost (retired with no additional income) takes this option off the table for me. So, we're stuck with meds until he becomes too uncomfortable. Their mom was a neighborhood stray rescue, and Peanut and his sis were born here (the last two that were never adopted), so it's going to be a very sad time when it comes.

I'll continue to supplement his 4 meals a day with A/D, and the vet said kitten kibble would be okay as long as it's high protein and grain-free. Since the Castor & Pollux kitten formula has sweet potato in it, I decided to go with their Pristine grain-free organic chicken and turkey. He doesn't eat a lot of kibble, but this will give me peace of mind knowing that there is food available if he gets hungry during the night. And I'll be supplementing with cooked chicken meat, hearts, and liver; he loves all of that.

Thanks again for all the information and suggestions. You have all truly been so helpful. It has been a couple of years since I had critically ill cats, and I am so very grateful to you.

Mom To Many