Is kitten food really that different to adult?

Not Jackson Galaxy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I bought adult Bozita before I realised that I might need kitten specific food. When i got my two kits, I was told and bought some from pets at home. It's this Wainwright's Kitten food which is 45% meat whereas Bozita is in the 90s. Shall I continue with Wainwright's or move to Bozita now? They're 16 weeks old now.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They need kitten food until at least a year old. Kitten food has things needed for a growing kitten that adult cat food does not. They are little growing machines at that age and expel a lot of energy so good nutrition is vital.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, kitten food is higher in calories and nutrition, both of which kittens need. It is also recommended for the malnourished and pregnant/nursing Queens. Teh brand wouldn't be as important as it being kitten formula. The ideal protein content is 35-50%. Although adult formulas may have that or exceed it, they do not contain the nutritional requirements and extra vitamins kittens need. A kitten reaches its adult size at around 40 weeks, providing it isn't one of the larger breeds. Kitten formula should be fed until it is 10-12 months old, depending on its body mass, making sure it is not becoming overweight from the extra calories.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is the Bozita dry or wet? You can either offer a small amount as a treat or just keep the unopened package to feed when the kittens are about a year old. The "best by" date on the package should be good for at least a year.

You can feed both kitten specific food and "all life stages" food to a kitten.

FWIW, one of my cats has never eaten kitten specific food because I feed raw. My cat grew up just fine and healthy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Not Jackson Galaxy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Its the wet food. Message received though, i'll continue with the kitten food. Just assumed that higher percentage meat content would be better.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its the wet food. Message received though, i'll continue with the kitten food. Just assumed that higher percentage meat content would be better.
If higher meat content is what you want, there are certain brands that offer that in kitten food. I feed mine Carnivora but it is rather expensive. I also feed Instinct which is also high in meat protein but more reasonably priced.