Is it wrong to encourage "smurgling" aka nursing

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have adopted a wonderfully cuddly birman kitten. She is 13 weeks and we got her on Saturday. She started nursing on me when we cuddle (she purrs and kneads too), I have discovered on the boards that this is called "smurgling". When I updated the breeder on how she was doing I mentioned this. The breeder told me she wasn't doing it at her house and was probably nervous about her new home, but I should not allow her to do it. I don't want to stunt her emotionally but I really enjoy when she does it- I feel like we are bonding and it is comforting her. Last night she was being wild at bed time so I put her on her favourite "nursing" fuzzy blanket. She started nursing which calmed her right and she went to sleep. I don't want to emotionally stunt her, so is it wrong to  let her nurse on things?

pika007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can let her do that for a while- but don't encourage it.

Cats knead to calm down and make themselves comfortable, if she's new she might be a bit stressed about the new place, see if she decreases the amount of kneading with time.

But do not encourage it, and needless to say- no "punishing" for doing it.

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't see any reason to worry about it. I don't think it stunts them emotionally anymore than a person who is finding comfort with a soft blanket, a good book and a cup of tea. One of mine does it and nuzzles me and purrs like crazy and then he falls asleep very content. I say let them enjoy themselves and be happy, no harm done.

I think it might stunt them emotionally to try to stop them from doing something that brings them comfort.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, let her do it within reason, she is a 'baby'. I was told my cat did it because they do that when they are weaned too early, WRONG! My 5 year old still kneads and nurses at times on fuzzy blankets and he nursed on his mother for over 6 months. When she had her second litter he just moved in when they were done! We had decided by then she must not have a home, spayed her, and took her in as one of our own. My 12 year old does not do this at all, and he WAS weaned too early at 6 weeks, go figure! I don't worry about it, it's not hurting anything, and if you don't like it, don't watch. Good luck!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks everyone. I agree that it would be mean to stop something that comforts her so much. Most cats knead so this is just a little extra. I am also not going to lie it is pretty sweet to be able to get her to calm down by just putting her on a furry blanket and letting her suckle- she falls asleep right away and will sleep right through until the morning- it is amazing!