Is It Unusual For A Cat Never To Be Ill?

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are coming up on three and aside from Thirteen's bout of pancreatitis and Atticus's asthma, they have never been sick. No colds, no tummy issues, no kitty diarrhea, nothing.

Is this unusual? They are indoor cats who never, under any circumstances, are allowed out of doors.

Last edited:

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are coming up on three and aside from Thirteen's bout of pancreatitis and Atticus's asthma, they have never been sick. No colds, no tummy issues, no kitty diarrhea, nothing.

Is this unusual? They are indoor cats who never, under any circumstances, are allowed out of doors.
Have they ever thrown up a hairball? Mine are 8 and 10 with no issues.❤❤ I have been lucky all my animals had good health until their mid teens

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It isn't all that unusual. One of mine is 14 and other than dental issues with a number of extractions she has been healthy. My other cat who is also 14 has made up for her. I think genetics play a part in how healthy a cat is.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It isn't all that unusual. One of mine is 14 and other than dental issues with a number of extractions she has been healthy. My other cat who is also 14 has made up for her. I think genetics play a part in how healthy a cat is.
I heard a theory that feral kittens tend to be a little heartier than purebred cats. The reasoning is that their parents are survivors and they will survive any kitten illness just to make it to a few months old. Only the strong survive and all that. It would especially hold true for those whose parents are over 2 years old; which lends itself towards a better ability to survive rather then just luck.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
It's wonderful! Whatever you're doing is working. :clap2:

Our 3 Amigos are all eight years old now. We have ongoing UTI issues with one of them. The other two go in once a year for shots and check ups but are are super healthy, knock on wood!

jcL4baS4pj-8.png

carebare

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat was healthy until he got old, like around 13 years. He had a mast cell tumor that was removed and he bounced back ok. It wasn't until recently that he had health issues. I think stress contributed to age. He is a tabby and bengal mix. Most non-pedigree cats are healthy because of a heritage of natural selection.

The other cat had life-long health issues, but he was a munchkin breed. He was rescued at 3 years old, and had teeth problems which is abnormal for a young cat (I assumed he was probably inbred). He continued having teeth and digestion issues his whole life to about 15 years old.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much for the input. I thought Atticus and Thirteen were both fairly normal in terms of health issues but because they are my first cats I wasn't sure. And, yes, Bestygee, you're absolutely right: knock on wood!!! Let's pray their good health continues into their senior years--for not just my cats but for all of ours.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lavishsqualor lavishsqualor - Mine are generally healthy throughout their considerable Lives. The Ancient Meezer - Tory - went over twenty-nine years without ever seeing a vet, and both Peanut and Lance - both now twenty years old - have done likewise. I have two others at fifteen years old, and save Puff, with a touch of allergic rhinitis, their health is solid. Good care goes a long way toward good health.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Princess Yue Pants is 8 years old and has only ever been to the vet for shots, spay, and a fall in early 2016. I did cheat and take her for a dental cleaning in July. Even when she fell, they said it was likely soft tissue and gave us 3 days anti-inflammatory and then she was back up the cat tree, limping for another 6 weeks or so. She's cost me maybe $500 her entire life aside from food.

Compare that to her friggin brudder, who is the same age and has cost probably around $13,000-15,000 during his 8 years.

Yup.

Dilutetortislave

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, it is not unusual. Every cat is different with their genetics as well.
The only time I would say it is not normal, is if someone just never thinks their cat has anything wrong because they just never go to the vet.

I think a lot of things can go unnoticed and a lot of older cats suffer at the end because of their owners.

We end up euthanizing a fair number of cats, mostly older ones, that either we have never seen before or haven't seen in over 10 years and they are only brought in because they are already on their death bed.

Was the cat going to end up like this anyway, even if it had exams and bloodwork every year?

Did the cat suffer with undiagnosed and untreated diseases?

Nobody can say for sure. And those are just the ones that are brought to a vet to die. Many people let them die at home and probably just assume it was 'old age'.

I think most people miss hyperthyroidism and the cats' bodies burn out. Oh well, what can you do.

/rant over