is it unhealthy if my cat consumes some cat shampoo?

catlover102

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my cat often goes outside and sits with us but as of recently she has gone into heat and so she has been going out every chance she gets no matter how hard we try to avoid she she always sneaks out when someone is leaving and so on and because she is in heat she rolls around on the floor which is dusty she walks inbetween the plants and the times which she makes it out of our yard i know that she probably interacts with other cats. at the times which she is extremely dirty i give her a bath and that’s fine because i’m sure all the shampoo is washed out of her fur but the times where she’s out for a little while i usually just wet a towel and add some shampoo on it and scrub her fur a bit and her paws especially and then i take a wet towel and try to rub out as much shampoo as possible but she makes it hard and then ofcourse after try to dry her with a dry towel which she makes hard as well and her paws especially so i just let them air dry. the problem i’m concerned about is that once that’s done she licks her still wet hands and fur and i know there is some shampoo still in there and i’m worried if it’s bad for her to ingest because at this point she’s been going out everyday.

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
my cat often goes outside and sits with us but as of recently she has gone into heat and so she has been going out every chance she gets no matter how hard we try to avoid she she always sneaks out when someone is leaving and so on and because she is in heat she rolls around on the floor which is dusty she walks inbetween the plants and the times which she makes it out of our yard i know that she probably interacts with other cats. at the times which she is extremely dirty i give her a bath and that’s fine because i’m sure all the shampoo is washed out of her fur but the times where she’s out for a little while i usually just wet a towel and add some shampoo on it and scrub her fur a bit and her paws especially and then i take a wet towel and try to rub out as much shampoo as possible but she makes it hard and then ofcourse after try to dry her with a dry towel which she makes hard as well and her paws especially so i just let them air dry. the problem i’m concerned about is that once that’s done she licks her still wet hands and fur and i know there is some shampoo still in there and i’m worried if it’s bad for her to ingest because at this point she’s been going out everyday.
Stop washing her so often, it's unhealthy for them as it strips their fur oils and yes; consuming it can be dangerous. Unless you're washing it all the way out, don't wash her, and don't wash often in general.
You should have her spayed, as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover102

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Stop washing her so often, it's unhealthy for them as it strips their fur oils and yes; consuming it can be dangerous. Unless you're washing it all the way out, don't wash her, and don't wash often in general.
You should have her spayed, as well.
thank you i’ll make sure not to wash her as much and if i do so to wash it all out. My cat is a rescue and i actually took her in just about 2 weeks ago now and i have spoken to my father about getting her spayed but with all the restrictions about going out lately where i live it’s sort of hard but i am looking for vets which have suitable prices to get her spayed as soon as possible. thank you again.