Is it true that low quality wet food is better than high quality dry?

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The "good" quality dry foods are extremely expensive. They can be upwards of $50 for a 5-6 LB bag and they still have a large amount of plant based ingredients by necessity, otherwise it can't be extruded and formed and would just crumble as it dries. For just about the same price a Cat could be fed a good LID canned food with no plant based ingredients.

But yes, a lot of Cats grew up on a diet of dry food in shelters and previous homes so it's what they want to eat and it can be a pain to transition them off of it. It's like feeding McDonald's to a child every day for years, then trying to switch them to home cooked food.
I totally understand all that. I guess I was thinking for my case, since I only feed the best dry such as Dr. Elsey, which is still cheaper per calorie than my cheapest wet food (Pure Vita turkey). Based on the prices I get them for, Dr. Elsey dry is $0.003/calorie vs the wet which is $0.009/calorie, a 3 times price difference. I calculate calories for my 2 cats and always work out cost per calorie because different brands and foods vary so greatly that it's pointless to calculate price per weight.

And of course I read ingredients rather than just take fancy brands on face value. Last time I went to my local specialty pet store they took a while to talk to me about the expensive brands and when they left I just read ingredients as usual and didn't buy any of them cus they didn't pass my test 😂

I'm sure others have their own reasons and rules they judge food by, but I think with the rules I use, plus that my 11 year old boy really don't recognize his food is food until he sees me plop some kibble in it, then Im happy to keep feeding some kibble as long as it passes my test. There's not much wet food that passes my tests either so I don't have many options there to go cheaper.