Is it true kittens wont overeat?

TingaTinga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We're transitioning over from what they came to us on (felix wet pouches) they LOVE their food and have taken to the new food with gusto (carny kitten cans) i dont really go by the guidelines on how much to feed. I tend to base it on each individual animal but will a kitten just eat and eat? If they clear what i give them instantly should i give a little more?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kittens are eating machine. Just feed a kitten as much as it will eat and as often as it wants :) If a kitten seems hungry after eating what you offer, give some more. Some people offer a bowl of dry food so a kitten can eat when it wants in between canned / tinned food meals.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
They absolutely are eating machines. However, their bodies will use anything it can to grow, burn for kitten zoomies, or poop.
Once cats stop growing upward, if they overeat they grow outward.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're transitioning over from what they came to us on (felix wet pouches) they LOVE their food and have taken to the new food with gusto (carny kitten cans) i dont really go by the guidelines on how much to feed. I tend to base it on each individual animal but will a kitten just eat and eat? If they clear what i give them instantly should i give a little more?
Growing kittens will not over-eat! They need a lot more food than most adult cats so don't worry about them getting fat. Not knowing how old your kitties are, I suggest you feed them at least 4 times a day. If they are very young, keep their dishes full - you will soon learn when they choose to eat and how much. Carny is a good cat food and if they are happy to eat it, then don't change. Personally, I would not offer dry food - except as a treat.
Have fun!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TingaTinga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry yes their ages would be helpful wouldnt they. One is coming up 13 week (male) and one is 8.5 weeks (female). They play a LOT so im assuming this will increase appetite too. I tend to top their bowls up with more food about 45-60 mins after they clear the bowl.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're doing fine. There will still be a difference in their eating habits as an 8 week-old kitten will need topping up more often than a thirteen-week old! But probably when they are both over 4 months old, things will have evened out and it will be easier for you.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens can overeat, it's easy to tell when that happens because they will throw up. If you're asking do Kittens eat so much that they get fat, then no. If a Kitten constantly looks like it's fat and not just for a while after it's stuffed itself with food then it probably has worms.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Kittens really can't overeat and get fat. They might go through awkward stages where they look a little pudgy but then they shoot up again. There will be days when a little needs over 100 calories per pound to give them enough energy to grow. The until they stop growing up, they can't grow out is a pretty accurate statement. I did the as many wet meals as possible with dry out between method with my crew and they are all good weights as adults.