Is It Time To See A Holistic Vet?

Pixelated Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone! It's been awhile since I've been on here so Happy New Year! Anyhow, my COPD cat, Pixie, has me very concerned lately. Just after Christmas he had a severe episode of not breathing very well so I implemented the emergency plan Dr. Mac and I have in place for him. The plan worked and he ate dinner and came to bed to sleep with us like he always does. The next morning I woke up to him wheezing so I gave him medicine and while it worked a little bit, he continued to wheeze. I made an emergency appointment to see Dr. Mac to have Pixie looked at. She listened to his chest, examined him, and assured me he did not have any type of infection and that his airways were being very reactive and sensitive. She increased his prednisolone dose, told me to give him his steroid inhaler twice a day, and told me to use the albuterol inhaler as needed. She also instructed me to wipe him down with damp washcloths twice a day to keep allergens and other triggers under control to help calm his airways. It worked for a few weeks, and then just this past Friday night when I got home, Pixie did not greet me at the door like he usually does. He usually runs to the door, and he will stand on his two back feet so that I will pick him up and cuddle with him. Hubby told me he offered him dinner but would not eat. I found him on his window perch and I could tell he was uncomfortable. He was sneezing, wheezing, and coughing. I immediately gave him medicine and implemented his emergency plan again and saw dramatic improvement within 5 minutes, and he ate his dinner. I kept my eye on him and barely slept. Saturday he seemed to be breathing better, but was still sneezing quite a bit. Yesterday he barely sneezed at all, and today he is doing really well. I'm glad the increase in medicine is working for him but at the same time, I am concerned. He has only been on prednisolone since July 2018, and has already had his dose increased. I know he will need the prednisolone for the rest of his life, and I am grateful for what it has done for him. I'm just worried that over time the dose will continue to be increased and concerned about potential long-term side effects of it. I have considered taking him to a holistic vet to see if there is anything else I can do for him. I would keep Dr. Mac as his primary vet. Is it time to see a holistic vet? Thank you for reading my post and sorry it is long-winded.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am guessing Pixie has asthma induced COPD? I don't know what the 'emergency plan' is, but as far as the increase in prednisolone - what does your vet say about the anticipatory forecast for future increases? I think he would tell you that because it was increased once since July doesn't mean that it will be a routine need to increase every 6 months or so.

Even though we here in Florida don't get as much cold as other locations, is it still possible that the recent cold snaps we have had makes his condition worse?

What does your vet think about adding holistic care to Pixie's regimen? You seem like you trust him - he might actually have some ideas of his own.

I am sure other members on this site will come along who have much more knowledge than I do about various holistic treatments.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have no experience with holistic vets but I know it isn't something that is regulated. Many conventional vets will add holistic to their practice to bring in more business but they don't really practice holistic medicine. If you decide to try going that route you will need to do your research rather then just picking one out of the phone book.

calico man

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How is Pixie doing today? Out of curiosity, how much Prednisolone is he getting? Lulu here is prescribed 5mg daily for allergies and has been on it for nine months. It works very well, but unfortunately it makes her lethargic. What used to be 15 minutes of play is now barely a few, but at least she's playing a little. Did you notice this in Pixie? Hope he feels better--keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pixelated Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. I am guessing Pixie has asthma induced COPD? I don't know what the 'emergency plan' is, but as far as the increase in prednisolone - what does your vet say about the anticipatory forecast for future increases? I think he would tell you that because it was increased once since July doesn't mean that it will be a routine need to increase every 6 months or so.

Even though we here in Florida don't get as much cold as other locations, is it still possible that the recent cold snaps we have had makes his condition worse?

What does your vet think about adding holistic care to Pixie's regimen? You seem like you trust him - he might actually have some ideas of his own.

I am sure other members on this site will come along who have much more knowledge than I do about various holistic treatments.
Pixie's COPD is sort of complicated....his airways are lined with scar tissue, and his lungs are fibrotic. This makes it nearly impossible for him to take a full deep breath, and his airways are always noisy. On his good days, I can hear him breathing through his nose from across the room. The cold air actually helps him breathe better so when it starts to warm up from being cold like it has been doing here in Florida, he shows signs of respiratory distress. Dr. Mac and I came with the emergency plan for the rough times just like the ones he had lately, and we have agreed that if the emergency plan does not calm his airways then I would take him to the emergency vet for further treatment. So far, though, the emergency plan has worked and calmed his airways.

I trust Dr. Mac more than anyone else with him, she has save Pixie's life twice. If it weren't for her, Pixie wouldn't be with us today. She has not given any forecasts for future increases. She just tells us to keep an eye on him and to let her know of any changes as he is prone to respiratory illness. He had pneumonia just this past summer, it was a long road to recovery. I have not asked her what she thinks of holistic care. Pixie is due for his annual check-up in three weeks. I can ask her what she thinks then.

Pixelated Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have no experience with holistic vets but I know it isn't something that is regulated. Many conventional vets will add holistic to their practice to bring in more business but they don't really practice holistic medicine. If you decide to try going that route you will need to do your research rather then just picking one out of the phone book.
I have done research and have been looking at a couple of clinics. They are both a bit out of town, and I'm not in a hurry. I know that this stuff isn't regulated, but I am a believer in some of it. In my experience for myself, I have had great results with a holistic doctor.

Pixelated Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How is Pixie doing today? Out of curiosity, how much Prednisolone is he getting? Lulu here is prescribed 5mg daily for allergies and has been on it for nine months. It works very well, but unfortunately it makes her lethargic. What used to be 15 minutes of play is now barely a few, but at least she's playing a little. Did you notice this in Pixie? Hope he feels better--keep us posted!
.Pixie is doing better today, thank you for asking :) Right now he is 7.25mg daily. He started out at 5mg, and it recently increased to 7.25mg. It works well for Pixie too, and yes, I have noticed lethargy in Pixie as well. He will roll around with his catnip toys for a few minutes, and then he is spent. How is Lulu doing?

calico man

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
.Pixie is doing better today, thank you for asking :) Right now he is 7.25mg daily. He started out at 5mg, and it recently increased to 7.25mg. It works well for Pixie too, and yes, I have noticed lethargy in Pixie as well. He will roll around with his catnip toys for a few minutes, and then he is spent. How is Lulu doing?
Other than a bit lethargic (but then there's other times when she is runnin' crazy!) Lulu is doing great--thanks for asking! Glad Pixie is doing better. I sent you a pic on another post; here it is again. It's my brother's cat who looks just like your Pixie!

Pixelated Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Other than a bit lethargic (but then there's other times when she is runnin' crazy!) Lulu is doing great--thanks for asking! Glad Pixie is doing better. I sent you a pic on another post; here it is again. It's my brother's cat who looks just like your Pixie!
He sure does look like him! What your brother's cat's name? That is a handsome kitty!