Is It Safe?

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
:hellosmiley: everybody,
I brought home some lovely fresh organic carrots from meijers today and Gypsy was really interested in tasting the tops. I took them away from her til I hear back from you guys. Is it safe for her to nibble on them as long as I don't let her really eat much? She has wheat grass available so I think it is more of just something new.
:thanks::wave3: :catrub:

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many cats love fresh celery leaves. It has a similar effect as catnip. They roll in it and nibble on it. Of course, like anything a cat doesn't need (vegetables) I only give it on occasion.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
It won't harm her but it may cause some tummy upset. Cats aren't really meant to eat vegetables, they can have a hard time processing them.
Oh good. Yeah, it really surprises me that so many of the available wet foods have veggies & grains in them.

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Many cats love fresh celery leaves. It has a similar effect as catnip. They roll in it and nibble on it. Of course, like anything a cat doesn't need (vegetables) I only give it on occasion.
Hmmm she doesn't care for catnip, I'll try the fresh celery leaves. Thanks for the tip.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats why many posters here are so big on low carb/grain free diets. Grain free can kind of be a scam bc there could still be plenty of carbs in other forms but cats are strict carnivores. They are meant to eat meat.

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
small tiny piece as a treat should be OK, just not a lot and not often.
small tiny piece as a treat should be OK, just not a lot and not often.
Great! I don't buy them often so that's not a problem. I'm gonna rinse them really well and let her have her way with them. Keeping a watchful eye on her of course. Thanks.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh good. Yeah, it really surprises me that so many of the available wet foods have veggies & grains in them.
It's cheaper for companies to fill their foods with carbs than meats. Many pet owners are also naive about feline nutrition and think that what's healthy for humans is healthy for cats so pet food companies advertise to them. :)

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
:doh: Well, talk about Much ado about nothing! She sniffed, chewed on few, didn't swallow any, then walked away from them. Thanks to all of you great folks advice I knew it wasn't dangerous for her.:touched::wave2:

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
It's cheaper for companies to fill their foods with carbs than meats. Many pet owners are also naive about feline nutrition and think that what's healthy for humans is healthy for cats so pet food companies advertise to them. :)
Yep, they do it for baby and dog food advertising too.

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
jen jen mentioned that some kittys enjoy fresh celery leaves. Is there anything untypical your kitty or a kitty you know of likes?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 I have another cat who loves to rub her face on leather, bracelets, cords, purse straps, hair ties on my wrist... stuff like that. She also loves feathers and fur. She just rubs her face on them and kneads them. As far as food goes, my other 2 cats will literally eat ANYTHING. Celery leaves are just the one thing that always gets them rolling around on the floor. lol

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 I have another cat who loves to rub her face on leather, bracelets, cords, purse straps, hair ties on my wrist... stuff like that. She also loves feathers and fur. She just rubs her face on them and kneads them. As far as food goes, my other 2 cats will literally eat ANYTHING. Celery leaves are just the one thing that always gets them rolling around on the floor. lol
:lol: :lol2:
Gypsy usually ignores our people food after insisting on a sniff of what we are eating.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My indoor/outdoor kitty goes outside just about every day and chews grass (which is probably similar nutritionally to carrot tops or celery leaves). So she eats a few tips of the blades of grass. A few minutes later, she usually pukes "grass water"...but that's a different topic. :confused:

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
My indoor/outdoor kitty goes outside just about every day and chews grass (which is probably similar nutritionally to carrot tops or celery leaves). So she eats a few tips of the blades of grass. A few minutes later, she usually pukes "grass water"...but that's a different topic. :confused:
Well, not really a totally different topic more of a cause and effect type thing.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Lily and Iris love tomatoes. They’re from the same litter so it must be part of their DNA. Years ago, I had bought a small bag of cherry tomatoes—the kind in the red mesh bag—and left them on the counter. They were gone when I got home. I found them upstairs in the bedroom smooshed up and lying in a puddle of tomato juice...on my beige carpet.

Somehow Lily always knows when I’m cutting up tomatoes. She materializes in the kitchen and I have to give her a couple of tiny pieces so I can walk around the kitchen undisturbed. :) The third cat, unrelated, smelled the tomato and gave Lily a look as if to say, “Hello? What part of obligate carnivore do you not understand?”

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Lily and Iris love tomatoes. They’re from the same litter so it must be part of their DNA. Years ago, I had bought a small bag of cherry tomatoes—the kind in the red mesh bag—and left them on the counter. They were gone when I got home. I found them upstairs in the bedroom smooshed up and lying in a puddle of tomato juice...on my beige carpet.

Somehow Lily always knows when I’m cutting up tomatoes. She materializes in the kitchen and I have to give her a couple of tiny pieces so I can walk around the kitchen undisturbed. :) The third cat, unrelated, smelled the tomato and gave Lily a look as if to say, “Hello? What part of obligate carnivore do you not understand?”
:crackup::lol: :lolup: