Is It Safe To Use A Flea Treatment On A Pregnant Cat??

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Salem needs a flea treatment badly, but I'm hesitant on giving her one b/c I don't know if it will hurt the babies.
But I think she should definitely have one, before she has them, so she doesn't pass the fleas onto the babies b/c I know you can't apply the stuff to kittens.

Is it safe to give her a flea treatment??

~KK~

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Talk to your vet and see what you can/cannot use. In addition, I'd be flea combing her like crazy. And you may need to treat the house.

Fleas on newborn kittens can spell death if they are very bad infestation - the fleas suck the kittens blood and cause anemia in a very short time!

rotobay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I took in a pregnant stray who had a horrible case of fleas. I took her to the vet and he said it is fine to treat a preggo kitty with advantage (or any other topical flea medication). He also said it was fine to to treat the surrounding area (bedding, rugs etc) and posed no threat to the kittens. Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Talk to your vet and see what you can/cannot use. In addition, I'd be flea combing her like crazy. And you may need to treat the house.
I took your advice and called my vet, and he said that it would be okay to treat her.

Fleas on newborn kittens can spell death if they are very bad infestation - the fleas suck the kittens blood and cause anemia in a very short time!
I knew that fleas could be harmful to kittens, but I didn't know that they could literally suck the blood out of them.
Thanks for posting that info, GoldenKitty!

~KK~

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rotobay

I took in a pregnant stray who had a horrible case of fleas. I took her to the vet and he said it is fine to treat a preggo kitty with advantage (or any other topical flea medication). He also said it was fine to to treat the surrounding area (bedding, rugs etc) and posed no threat to the kittens. Good luck!
I guess I was posting my reply while you were posting yours, Rotobay.
Thanks for your input, also.

~KK~

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Should there still be fleas when the kittens are born, do not hesitate to call your vet ASAP since they pose such a risk to newborn kittens.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Should there still be fleas when the kittens are born, do not hesitate to call your vet ASAP since they pose such a risk to newborn kittens.
I will do that.
Thanks!
Hopefully there won't be any problems..

~KK~

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have seen Kittens die from Flea Anemia. Meekos Sister died from it and my Meeko almost died before I got her. She was only 1 Pound at 3 Months. Make sure there are no fleas anywhere and Comb them out with the flea Comb.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You figure if a newborn kitten has about a teaspoon of blood circulating and you get a lot of hungrey fleas - isnt' gonna take long to suck enough blood to kill the kitten from anemia!

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you are using flea preventitive before your cat has babies. With Sophie I noticed a flea on one of the babies so I went ahead and used advantage on momma cat and all fleas were gone fast from mom and babies. I went ahead and used it on Olive too since she is due in a couple of days. I believe my dogs going in and out so much gave them fleas.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lindsey88

I'm glad you are using flea preventitive before your cat has babies. With Sophie I noticed a flea on one of the babies so I went ahead and used advantage on momma cat and all fleas were gone fast from mom and babies. I went ahead and used it on Olive too since she is due in a couple of days. I believe my dogs going in and out so much gave them fleas.
Once she has the babies and I notice any fleas, is it safe to treat her then??

~KK~

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My vet said it was ok to use on pregnant and nursing mothers. I would go ahead and treat her now while she is pregnant though.

kittymeri

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My vet said it is fine for pregnant cats, and if there are still fleas after the babies are born, or on the babies that i can spray the spritz bottle directly onto her body on her back (so the smell doesnt get into the air and make her foam at the mouth) and that i can rub some on a cottin ball and rub it down the kittens bodies just not near the face.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lindsey88

My vet said it was ok to use on pregnant and nursing mothers. I would go ahead and treat her now while she is pregnant though.
I've already treated her a few days ago, along with the rest of the cats. I think the fleas are gone: I haven't seen any, and they've all quit scratching at themselves.

~KK~

jhannamarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I want to say thank you for that reply cause I have some advantage & I just saw a flea, I was paranoid since I think she is almost due. Unfortunately this advantage was when she weighed less. I'm thinking of calling & getting another one. Hopefully they will just swap it. But thank you for that response.

lailakd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey[emoji]128522[/emoji]I've been told it's not good to treat pregnant cat for fleas, yet I've read here it is. I use Broadband on my cats. Anyone know if this is safe? My Moochee is quite late on and I'm worried for her kittens..... Instructions on pit, say no testing has been done yet, except on rabbits and rats, neither of which, experienced side effects.
Many Thanx [emoji]129303[/emoji][emoji]127802[/emoji]