Is it safe to transport a young kitten internationally?

UnoMama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Quandary: I found Uno 2.5 months ago, and it was a completely unplanned adoption. He was about 6 weeks at the time, so that makes him about 4 months old right now (approximate age, since we had no way of finding out)

Another unplanned scenario: I may have to move back to my home country in the next few months. I'm in Malaysia, and will be moving back to India. Thankfully I'm not on a hard deadline, but I'm here under circumstances that actually make me WANT to move back, and soon (things haven't moved the way I needed them to on the work front)

Now of course I need to take the boy back with me, but I've known since I got him that it won't be easy to transport him while he's this young.
One of the things I know Indian laws will require is that he be microchipped, which also I think he's too young for right now? I mean even his vaccination cycle isn't complete yet! (but will be, in April)

The earliest I might have to move back will be in Late May/ Early June, I can (probably) choose to stay for some time longer, and am prepared to do it if it is truly impossible to take him back until he's a certain age.

Has anyone on here had experience with internationally transporting youngish kittens? Is it possible, and how do we make it easier on them?

I do plan on using professional pet transport services, to get all the paperwork and quarantine requirements sorted should I need to go down this route. I'm just posting on here as well for advice, while I start getting information from pet transporters and finding out what India's other requirements are.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can't say much on the rest, but the shelter I volunteer at microchips Kittens as young as 8 weeks so 4 months is probably not too young.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

UnoMama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can't say much on the rest, but the shelter I volunteer at microchips Kittens as young as 8 weeks so 4 months is probably not too young.
Ok that's good to know - at least that specific thing is not a barrier then.