Is it safe to omit fish oil?

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
I ordered it and we're waiting to give it a try. Unfortunately, Morty started getting a number of hairballs again, so I didn't feel like it would be good to introduce the spirulina until his vomiting is a bit more under control again, just in case he did react to it. The powdered egg yolk doesn't appear to be working anymore (even at like 1.5 teaspoons a day) so we're going to try olive oil and hopefully that will help.

I'll definitely give an update once we introduce it though.
Has Monty’s vomiting let up a bit, or is the poor boy still going at it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Has Monty’s vomiting let up a bit, or is the poor boy still going at it?
He hasn't thrown up a hairball since we introduced the olive oil, but I'm giving it a few more days to see. When we initially introduced the powdered egg yolk the same thing happened, only for them to return a month later. I'm not entirely sure why, but maybe it has something to do with the seasons changing. Anyway, he's having 1.5 teaspoons of egg yolk powder and teaspoon of olive oil a day right now and luckily isn't having stool problems yet. Hopefully the hairballs will stay away! Thank goodness he's a short-haired cat.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Happy to hear! Hopefully he’ll keep on trucking :>

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay we have an update! We got the hairballs to stop with the olive oil! I'm amazed that's he's not having diarrhea problems with the oil and egg yolk. I have also reintroduced chicken and interestingly enough, he's not allergic to chicken. So I'm thinking we're looking at fish, turkey and peas.

Anyway, I gave him the spirulina last night and he hasn't thrown up. Unfortunately, they come in hard green pills that I had to crush up and mix in his food. I was hoping they would be more...liquidy. I don't think he likes the taste very much, and it's turned his food a blue-green. We're going to wait it out though. Sometimes he just needs a few days to get adjusted.

IMG-9369.JPG

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Of course, right after I sent that he got another hairball. :rolleyes:

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course, right after I sent that he got another hairball. :rolleyes:
Oh dear, poor boy :< do you brush him daily? Perhaps it’s more of a question of maintaining his coat than aiding his diet, at this point?

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh dear, poor boy :< do you brush him daily? Perhaps it’s more of a question of maintaining his coat than aiding his diet, at this point?
I try to, but he really doesn't like being brushed. He also doesn't seem to have much hair come off either, but I'm going to try and do it more often. I think it just has to do with his potential IBD. I say "potential" because he doesn't have an official diagnosis after the ultrasound was basically inconclusive, but we think that's what's going on.