Is It Safe to Give Olive Oil to Cats?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
P.s for the canola oil guy no canola oil is not good for cats at all in their fur and their food in you by tablespoons they should not even be smelling it it's not good for humans and the flower that canola oil come from is not caught a canola I can't remember what it is but it is poisonous so don't give it to your cat.
The flower is the rapeseed, as in rapeseed oil.

I would like to know what you are thinking on??     I know some margarines arent that great, and margaines are often made from rapeseed oil.

But margarines are of course made on cheap rapeseed oil, ie warmpressed oil.  Also, they use inferior palm oil - which they proceed heavily. Not even mentioning, this palm oil is often transported in tankers who transport also other fluids - not always cleaning the tanks good enough between the transports...

So nothing peculiar  these margarines arent that healthy.

While we are  talking about coldpressed - usually organic, oil of first rate quality.  No fancy additions nor peculiar processing.

nekohugger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Actually i recebtly read an article stating that canola oil is by far the most toxic oil available. Its an oil created through genetic manipulation that includes hexane - a flammable gasoline component and actually, bio diesal is derived from rapeseed. It inhibits enzyme functioning thus making you more susceptible to cancer, it contains a long fatty acid chain that has been linked to fibrotic heart lesions. Also, there are studies showing long term affects of deterioration in memory and heart failure, i could go on........idk about you, but this is enough for me to ban canola and rapeseed from my house.

nekohugger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, as for the cheap warmpressed note,all canola oil must be heated to a certain temperature before deemed safe for use-FDA

Last edited:

ben casper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i've used sardines in olive oil to help relieve kitty constipation.

in my instance, the oil was whatever was absorbed into the fish and a small drizzle out of the can.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Actually i recebtly read an article stating that canola oil is by far the most toxic oil available. Its an oil created through genetic manipulation that includes hexane - a flammable gasoline component and actually, bio diesal is derived from rapeseed. It inhibits enzyme functioning thus making you more susceptible to cancer, it contains a long fatty acid chain that has been linked to fibrotic heart lesions. Also, there are studies showing long term affects of deterioration in memory and heart failure, i could go on........idk about you, but this is enough for me to ban canola and rapeseed from my house.
I half of this i true, I too will switch off.   Alothough I hope and think its some sort of alarmist article.   I will read on.  If you find this article or some good words to seek on, please contribute with them.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I half of this i true, I too will switch off.   Alothough I hope and think its some sort of alarmist article.   I will read on.  If you find this article or some good words to seek on, please contribute with them.
Hope nobody minds if I looked that up too. Here's a good link. A bit alarming for sure, but this article says how you can avoid problems. Seriously, I might stop using it myself. Thanks nekkohugger!

http://www.prevention.com/food/canola-oil-safe

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hope nobody minds if I looked that up too. Here's a good link. A bit alarming for sure, but this article says how you can avoid problems. Seriously, I might stop using it myself. Thanks nekkohugger!

http://www.prevention.com/food/canola-oil-safe
Right, it was quite exactly what I said.  coldpressed, organic canola is one of the very best to get.

While processed, warmpressed or similiar - is so so and does has drawbacks.  Even if this article mentions there are no proofs it causes disease, so its not what we do recommend as our first choice.  So to speak..

The article mentions, the canola oil has low natural contend of an potentially negative acid  Erucian-acid (spelling) while the european cousin, rapeseed, may  have up to 47%. Which is very much!

Now, I refreshed my memory today visiting the library.  They told on exactly the same thing.  Rapeseed, although it was a human crop for 5000 years, does / did contain this Erucian acid, which in experiments on rats proved  wasnt good, including problems with the heart muscle.  So, since the 60-70ties, they worked up a new type of rapeseed, with none or very low content of this acid.

And they mentioned, the canadian cousin, the canola, had always had an low contend...   Exactly alike this linked article tells.

Another book, by a "hunter" hunting conspirations everywhere about bad foods and bad production standards, wrote, free from memory:  "If the label of contents writes  vegetable oil, you can be sure its some really cheap brand of palm-oil or similiar.  You can be sure it wont be olive oil nor rapeseed oil, because it if were them, the producer would of course mention it and boast.

Although there is of course a big difference between the coldpressed organic rapeseed oil sold on the health care shelters, and a warmpressed, processed cheap rapeseed oil"

So, the warning is surely at least in part justified for cheap, warmpressed processed oils (probably true for more oils than just rapeseed).  But coldpressed is MUCH better. And if you get an organic brand - whoa!  Your day is made.  :)

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi there
I dont know what an alarmist is although if I had to guess I'd say it's a person dedicated to warnings only? I hadn't thought to look further than the article perhaps because alarms went off in my head haha but here it is, I reiterated a lot though again, I haven't digged deeper.

http://www.naturalnews.com/042054_organic_canola_oil_oxymoron_rapeseed.html
A real alarmist article!  Look at the first sentence: "First of all, if canola oil is processed from rapeseed oil, which is highly toxic to humans, can canola legitimately be labeled "organic,""

It may be discussed if rapeseed oil of the old type is healthy to humans, but calling it per definition as highly toxic to humans, is to overdo it beyond measure.

Modern rapeseed contains much less of this discutable erucic(spelling?) oil, and canola is wellknown it had always very low.

Also, its clear the author doesnt recognize the difference between coldpressed, and the warmpressed - processed variants...  This with hexane is only with some cheap, warmpressed variants.

Of course, as warning against cheap, warmpressed, processed variants, the article is useful.

That is also why Im always hammering on the coldpressed "virgin" oils as my recommendations.  Big de facto difference.

nekohugger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Edit* after reviewing both articles, I definitely have to say yours is more non bias whereas mine definitely sounds like a potential alarmist (I googled the meaning lol), the hunter conspirations quote sounds very interesting as well!

markira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just took my 10-year-old cat, Secret, to the vet this morning for her first wellness visit since I adopted her in December. The vet said that coconut and olive oils are not really good for her, because cats are obligate carnivores and cannot process these other oils easily. She recommended fish oil.

I was wandering around the internet and found this, which appears to explain why plant-based oils aren't good for our kitties:

http://feline-nutrition.org/answers/answers-flaxseed-oil-for-kitty

I'll be curious to hear other opinions/thoughts.

~mk

burningbright

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So many conflicting advices. I would probably not take any notice of advice from overweight people on health issues though. Just saying.

Masha48

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Listen, B burningbright , I'M a big gal & I'll tell you one thing, I've ALWAYS taken better care of my furbabies than I do myself. That was a VERY judgemental & RUDE comment that you made!!! DO NOT judge how people take care of their pets just because of their weight! I may be a big gal, but I'm apparently smarter than you. I've not had a cat live below 17 years old since I was a kid!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have read good and bad things about olive and coconut oil online. the bad things worry me enough that i do avoid both oils in my cats foods, better to error on the side of caution i think. i do prefer foods without any vegetable oils, but they are hard to find.

lookitsria

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please don't listen to people who are not vets! Olives are HIGHLY poisonous to cats. Pleas do NOT give your cat olives or olive oils.
Olives are not highly poisonous to cats... where did you get that from? Not that you should feed your cat a diet of olives, but if they eat one, they aren't going to die. Olives have a catnip-like ingredient in them that some cats seem to love. Plenty of people feed their cats olives occasionally.

backtoindia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please don't listen to people who are not vets! Olives are HIGHLY poisonous to cats. Pleas do NOT give your cat olives or olive oils.
Nonsense, see here,
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Matt
Hello Cheryl - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

Neither lemon juice nor olive oil are toxic to cats. I am actually surprised that he licked the lemon juice as many cats will not like anything with citrus. Cats do like olive oil though as this has a better flavor that may be attracting him to the area.

The olive oil is ingested in larger portions could cause an upset stomach therefore do not let him get a lot of it, but overall a small amount is very safe and will not cause any toxic effects at all.

Hope this helps -please reply if you have any questions.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know as they are highly poisonous to cats, but i do believe they can harm a cat. I have read enough about both coconut, palm nut oil, olive oil and the damage they can do to a cats liver, that i will not feed them to my guys. I try to stay away from all vegetable oils if possible, but i will not buy a cat food with either olive, or coconut oil. Sunflower oil seems to have the least amount of bad information, and it is in most cat foods. Im not a big fan of it, but i do feed foods with sunflower oil, kind of hard not too.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nonsense, see here,
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Matt
Well, let me t̶e̶l̶l̶ SHOW you what I see there:
About Dr. Matt
DVM - 13 years experience in canine medicine and surgery.
duckpond duckpond has it right......a tad won't hurt.....long-term is a no-no for felines.

Perhaps it's worth repeating goholistic's post - #9 above - as it's from a reliable source:

Olive oil is okay if used only short-term for acute cases of constipation, but I wouldn't use it long term. According to FelineConstipation.org:
Olive oil – Technically a cholagogue (see Glossary), not a lubricant laxative, olive oil has mild laxative properties when a larger dose is given. A larger dose for a cat is a small amount! For a mild bout of constipation, a quarter teaspoonful of olive oil can be given for acute treatment but cats require animal fat sources, not plant oils, so olive oil is not suitable for ongoing care. Olive oil contains terpenic acids and phenolic compounds which a cat's liver is not able to properly detoxify. Some pharmacies carry small bottles of pharmaceutical-grade olive oil. Do not force any oil into the mouth of a cat.