Is it safe to deworm a malnourished cat?

MDavout

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been giving focused care on a malnourished stray kitten (I estimate him to be at least two months) since last week. He's really thin. So is it safe to deworm him. I got a bottle of pyrantel I bought last March.

The last time i went to a vet she told me that stray cats should be taken care first and given time to gain strength and nourishment before being dewormed.

So my conundrum is, how can i deworm him if he's not strong enough yet. But he won't gain strength because he possibly has worm infection.

We just can't go to the vet now, because of the pandemic quarantine. Hence I ask. Thanks guys for answers and solutions and help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MDavout

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
On second thought, I think he might be at least 3-4 months, he has a bit tall already. But he's frail looking and thin.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Do you know for sure that he has worms? Does he have loose stools or diarrhea, or can you see worms in his poo? If your vet is open, and will accept you bringing in a stool sample it can be tested for worms. Most vets will accept stool samples without having to see the cat, but call them to make sure. If your vet finds worms, they may change their mind about treating them. If there are no worms, then you can stop worrying about that part and focus on getting him to eat more!!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, you kind of have to, because he won't gain weight until the worms are gone. Pyrantel is pretty safe, although of course nothing is 100% safe. You don't want to give it to a cat who's really in bad shape, but if you've had him a week and he's eating well and fairly active I think he's healthy enough for de-worming.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MDavout

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I saw him poop it's kind of liquid like paste. He's a stray that's why I think he needs deworming. Plus this morning I notice some bloating in his belly.

He's a weak eater too, to yesterday he didn't eat at all. He only ate again this morning about maybe less than a single spoon of canned wet food.

I haven't taken him in, I only go out to him twice a day to try and feed him, but he's really a weak erratic eater.