Is it safe for my cat to go out?

Oreoisthebest

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, is it safe for my 7 year old female cat to go outside. She always been an indoor cat, but i want to see if she likes the outside. Ive never tried to make her go out, but i wanted to try since we dont have a backyard cause we live in an apartment. So i want her to explore. She got her shots 2 months ago and she got a rabies shot, plus a flu shot. Does she need any additional shots to be safe outside or can i wait until next year shots since she just went to the vet 2 months ago and is it a good idea for her to go outside. If it is, is there any tips to help her gradually go outside so she feels comfortable and any tips for leash training.i also dont have a leash yet. i was thinking i could put her in her cage first and get her used to the outside before i get her a leash. she also got all her vaccinations when she was a kitten and we think she has allergies, so will going outside make it worse?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! There is a big difference between leash training and just letting your cat go outside. As to the latter, I do not let my indoor cats outside.....ever. Way too many dangers and hazards. Since you live in an apartment, it sounds as if your cat would be allowed out into a busier area, sidewalk, carport, etc all of which could prove disastrous. Leash training is another way to go and I have had cats who were trained to go outside in the garden on a lead and tieout if I were home to watch and sit with them.

Allergies can be caused by many things; certainly outdoors is a source, not to mention toxic plants which she might eat.

Harness And Leash Training For Cats – TheCatSite Articles

If you have had your cat for 7 years and she is entirely indoor, I would personally not start any of this now.

7 Proven Ways To Get Your Cat To Be More Active – TheCatSite Articles

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
HI. I am right there with fionasmom fionasmom ! You will get a lot of varying opinions on this, but my personal opinion is this: Do not try to fix what is not broken. She is 7yo, and given everything you have said, she is better off with the indoor-only lifestyle. Look into window perches or cat trees that look outside. If your cat took to wanting to be outside, you have a whole other set of potential issues - such as, bothering you in the middle of the night to go out, liking the idea of peeing/pooping outside more than inside, darting your door when you come and go in order to get outside - and on, and on, and on.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I completely agree with both the above members. :agree: In addition, here is an Article that discusses how to prevent your cat from darting out the door but please scroll down to the paragraph on "How to make your cat happy to stay inside."
How To Prevent Your Cat From Darting Out The Door – TheCatSite Articles

Regarding your question about safety you mentioned her vaccinations but is she microchipped? If not, you may want to consider taking her to the vet to be microchipped for her safety. This is also addressed in the last paragraph of the Article I referred to above.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Living in an apartment myself,if a cat is seen people wonder if it's a stray,take her in,or numerous people feed her thinking she's abandoned or take her to a shelter. There are cars continuously driving by,dogs usually on a leash but what if not? It is very risky. If the cat is indoors she will not want to go outside.

flcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You mean let outside loose? Or take out on a leash?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A pet stroller might be a better idea than a leash and harness. Most strollers have an option to not close the top but for the cat's safety, the top should be zipped closed so the cat is fully contained inside and unable to run off if spooked.

There is no reason at all to take an indoor only cat outside for entertainment / fresh air / etc. Many cats are perfectly happy living their entire lives indoors. Here's a TCS article on how to make your home seem bigger to a cat: How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats) – TheCatSite Articles

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Why let her outside now? If she’s contented being inside, let her be…there are other factors to consider too….FLEAS….TICKS….
i 100% agree with what everyone has said in the previous posts! If you care about her safety..keep her inside!