Is it really ringworm, or something entirely different?

Toodles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I joined this group after reading some great advice given by the members. I need some advice. I have a 1yo kitty adopted from a shelter that was diagnosed with ringworm. At first, our vet told us to continue a regimen (they started at the shelter) with over the counter Monistat cream. When one area healed but another popped up, we took him back. They did blood testing and then prescribed an oral cream. He’s been on it a week, and 4 more patches have come. Some with tiny scabs ( no ring), and some just hairless patches. He seems itchy now when he wasn’t before. I’m trying to figure out whether this is truly ringworm or an allergy/dermatitis. The vet always seems to be bothered with my questioning. Says to continue the oral med and that it could be running its course. But no culture was ever taken. If this isn’t ringworm he needs entirely different care. I don’t want to be a worry-wart and keep taking him to veterinarians but I’m wanting him to be in the right path to recovery.

Attachments

bee9212

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I've dealt with ringworm more than i'd like to admit (perks of fostering in Southern US, I guess!). I've had ringworm kitties with scabs and kitties with just round, hairless areas so it's really hard to tell from your picture. How long has treatment been going on? Oral meds work but you also need to treat the entire home for spores and sometimes we do lime sulfur dips or topical anti-fungal creams (which i've seen you have tried). Are you isolating kitty to one room that is easily cleanable? Like a bathroom? You would need a black light to see the spores or a culture done at the vets to confirm ringworm but one of them needs to be done because the oral meds can be hard on their system and typically we don't keep them on it long because of this. Maybe a second opinion is best for you.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I joined this group after reading some great advice given by the members. I need some advice. I have a 1yo kitty adopted from a shelter that was diagnosed with ringworm. At first, our vet told us to continue a regimen (they started at the shelter) with over the counter Monistat cream. When one area healed but another popped up, we took him back. They did blood testing and then prescribed an oral cream. He’s been on it a week, and 4 more patches have come. Some with tiny scabs ( no ring), and some just hairless patches. He seems itchy now when he wasn’t before. I’m trying to figure out whether this is truly ringworm or an allergy/dermatitis. The vet always seems to be bothered with my questioning. Says to continue the oral med and that it could be running its course. But no culture was ever taken. If this isn’t ringworm he needs entirely different care. I don’t want to be a worry-wart and keep taking him to veterinarians but I’m wanting him to be in the right path to recovery.
Hello T Toodles and welcome to TCS! B bee9212 and neely neely have posted great suggestions. To those, I would just add that a second opinion and a skin scraping/culture would be highly desirable. My Bobby developed a skin condition that was NOT ringworm and after a culture and medication, he cleared up beautifully. It was a few years ago and I don't have his file close to hand; and anyway, his case may not have any relation to your little guy's. Hope you can get that culture and get him cleared up. Always better to err on the side of caution. You can never care too much about your beloved cat!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Toodles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks to all. I’m glad to be a part of this community. Just to add-we did get a black light and nothing floreced-not on the original patch and not on these either. We had him isolated for several days after getting him, but the ver told us we no longer needed to when the first patch appeared to be gone and fur growing. It was only after he had gotten full run of the home did the other patches pop up. Argh! I agree with Bee and Neely that deep cleaning keeps those spores down. Thanks to you. I’m just upset because we have leather furniture and oriental rugs that can’t be bleached/or cleaned with harsh cleaners. I’m vacuuming every day, but it’s a lot of ground to cover. I’m happy that none of our human family members have gotten it. I’m hoping it’s not ringworm because I’m tired of worrying about it.
Tarasgirl, thanks for reassuring me that my concern for my kitty isn’t overreacting. I feel the vet doesn’t want to be bothered with my questions. And why a culture was never suggested is beyond me.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might get a disinfecting spray like Lysol and spray it on all surfaces for a few days. that would help. if it doesn't fluoresce it may not be ringworm but dermatitis. You might go to a second vet, get a culture, and be done with it. I think it would be worth it!

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m not a vet but I don’t think that’s a ringworm either. Has your kitty been treated for fleas?
Here’s what I faced in the past which wasn’t ringworm as 2 vets suspected. The yellowish fur was result of the daily antifungal cream application. I cleaned like crazy and also bathed her in Malaseb every other day, which made her fur so dry.

Turns out it wasn’t even a ringworm and more of a allergic reaction.

Attachments

Toodles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Di and Bob and Bluemarine, I agree they could be misdiagnosing it. My cat seems to be itchy after the oral Intrafungol. Bluemarine, your poor kitty. Hope all is cleared up now.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had bald spots on a cat misdiagnosed as ringworm, also. The vet assumed it was ringworm even though it didn't fluoresce. I insisted on a culture done by the vet, and I also did my own "toothbrush" cultures of all my other cats at home to see if I had any asymptomatic ringworm carriers... all cultures were negative. My cat's bald spots cleared up when I put her on a chicken free diet for a while. Bald spots can have many causes.

This is the fungal culture medium I have used at home.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Di and Bob and Bluemarine, I agree they could be misdiagnosing it. My cat seems to be itchy after the oral Intrafungol. Bluemarine, your poor kitty. Hope all is cleared up now.
Yeah it cleared up after I took her to a 3rd vet who thought it was allergy. Gave my cat Prednisolone for 5 days to ease the itching and hair grew back very soon after. She also had a baldish spot above her left eye at the same time. The yellow fur took a while to turn back to white.

Actually a lot of things can glow under the UV light.

Toodles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had bald spots on a cat misdiagnosed as ringworm, also. The vet assumed it was ringworm even though it didn't fluoresce. I insisted on a culture done by the vet, and I also did my own "toothbrush" cultures of all my other cats at home to see if I had any asymptomatic ringworm carriers... all cultures were negative. My cat's bald spots cleared up when I put her on a chicken free diet for a while. Bald spots can have many causes.

This is the fungal culture medium I have used at home.
[/URL]
Wow, so you do your own cultures, huh. I guess it is cheaper in the long run. We can try eliminating chicken. But we are gonna take him to get another opinion.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Getting another opinion is the right idea! It could be any number of things, not necessarily an allergy / sensitivity. I only mentioned the chicken thing as an example of what worked for my cat.

And since you have just one cat to culture, and you are going for another opinion anyway, I would get the culture done by the vet. They can see what grows in the culture, and might be able to give you more detailed information than just "positive" or "negative." I cultured my cats at home since it's cheaper that way if you have several cats, and was quicker for me than taking everyone to the vet.