Is It Possible?

Thestarcatcher

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
is it possible for the tica or the cfa to consider your cat purebred, if you got your cat a dna test using basepaws and it came back 100% purebred? Or is this just a dream of mine? Lol. Still waiting on my own copies of my kittens papers, but the days are getting longer and longer for me. I’m afraid they will never come, and that I will have nothing to back up his purity, despite his looks.

F4983CA5-F5CA-4816-A92E-F9A32C53AF69.jpeg

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The best thing to do is contact the registries and ask. I honestly don't know about DNA testing to prove pedigree. I don't believe they would not be able to register the kitten without knowing the parents names and registration numbers though. That information is on the registration papers. Beautiful kitten!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thestarcatcher

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The best thing to do is contact the registries and ask. I honestly don't know about DNA testing to prove pedigree. I don't believe they would not be able to register the kitten without knowing the parents names and registration numbers though. That information is on the registration papers. Beautiful kitten!
Thank you! I just read your post about your girl winning :) congrats! I have a soft spot in my heart, and he is the first silver tipped I ever saw

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, you cannot register a British Shorthair in CFA or TICA based on a DNA test alone. You must have the registration papers identifying the cat and its parents.

Here are the British Shorthair registration rules for CFA. You must submit a 5 generation certified pedigree from an accepted organization. If there are certain colors in the 5 generation pedigree (chocolate, lilac, pointed), you must additionally submit a DNA test to show that the cat being registered doesn't carry those recessive genes.
http://cfa.org/Portals/0/documents/breeds/rules/british.pdf

Here are TICA's registration rules. British Shorthair is a Category I Established Breed, which means that a 3 generation pedigree is required for registration and no unknowns or other breeds are allowed in the pedigree.
https://tica.org/pdf/publications/reg_rules.pdf

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
If both parents are CFA registered and the breeder has registered the litter you should get a Blue Slip from the breeder. Fill that out and send it in to CFA and you're done.

The 5-generation pedigree is needed only if the parents are registered in a different association.

DNA is not acceptable in any association that I know of.

Just wondering why you didn't get the papers at the same time you got the kitten?

Good luck with your boy.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If the association admits novice trials, this could be a way in.

I mean many registries has closed the books and no longer admits novices.
BUT with a proven Dna they are perhaps willing to make an exception if the cat is of really good quality.

You must contact them and ask.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
StefanZ, for CFA and TICA, if the pedigree is not allowable according to the registration rules, the cat can't be registered in that association. It is not the same as the European organizations which have "experimental" stud books.

hortusgirlii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You cannot DNA test a cat for breed, or register a cat without a pedigree as purebred. You have no true options to have a cat registered with a SBT number. You could attempt to get a cat included in a breed as a foundation cat by going before 3 judges, who then deem it a good example of the breed. That gets you an 01T number, which would mean your cats progeny if crossed only to registered cats would get an SBT number after 3 generations. So not your cat but it’s great grand kitten. Alternatively you can register your cat as an experimental outcross assigned to a specific breed that allows domestic outcrosses. It’s the same scenario your cat wouldn’t be a purebred, but would be allowed in a program where it’s great grandkids had championship registration status.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You cannot DNA test a cat for breed, or register a cat without a pedigree as purebred. You have no true options to have a cat registered with a SBT number. You could attempt to get a cat included in a breed as a foundation cat by going before 3 judges, who then deem it a good example of the breed. That gets you an 01T number, which would mean your cats progeny if crossed only to registered cats would get an SBT number after 3 generations. So not your cat but it’s great grand kitten. Alternatively you can register your cat as an experimental outcross assigned to a specific breed that allows domestic outcrosses. It’s the same scenario your cat wouldn’t be a purebred, but would be allowed in a program where it’s great grandkids had championship registration status.
01T registration is only allowed for breeds in Category II, natural breeds that are still allowing new foundation cats. It's not an option for British Shorthair (the putative breed of the OP's cat, I believe).

Yes, the thread is over 2 years old and the OP is no longer posting here.