Is It Possible For A Neutered Cat...

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Technically, yes. There are two more expensive options to traditional neutering. A chemical neutering which is giving the male cat horomones so he doesn't desire to mate. Vasectomy for cats is the other which is very similar to a human version.

That said, I find it highly unlikely that is the case as both options are fairly rarely done. Most likely, he is not neutered.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m going to have to take him to a vet to find out what’s up. I TNR’d him myself. Since that time about six weeks ago, he has proven to be a little angel in his interactions with people, but a little devil with the other cats. I hate to think that all I got for my money was an ear tipping. :ohwell:

E7068956-272B-4144-8792-E2C6EA71794F.jpeg

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On the pos side I can handle him so he won’t have to be trapped again and I can get him to a vet as needed.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Slip ups do happen. He looks a little full figured. That said, I also have one that seemed to have a little leftovers. Is he trying to mate or just grouchy? I assume you have his paperwork on the neuter. If a vet says he was not fixed I would get that documented and get a return on your cash! A lot of TNR places have volunteers working. It could have been an honest skipping of one cat on their extensive list for that day. They often do a great many in a day. I certainly would check to prevent unwanted pregnancies.

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Slip ups do happen. He looks a little full figured. That said, I also have one that seemed to have a little leftovers. Is he trying to mate or just grouchy? I assume you have his paperwork on the neuter. If a vet says he was not fixed I would get that documented and get a return on your cash! A lot of TNR places have volunteers working. It could have been an honest skipping of one cat on their extensive list for that day. They often do a great many in a day. I certainly would check to prevent unwanted pregnancies.
Agreed all around. :agree:

He being territorial. He’s a great kitty but he’s a problem. Now he’s another on top of it, bless him.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ll be interested to know the outcome. Hopefully he will settle. Maybe he’s still mad about the reduction. That happens too! Making up for his losses.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some males don't look like they're neutered, especially if they were past puberty when it was done. Did he ever look like surgery was done? Did he have visible stitches/glue/incisions?

Give him a poke back there, if he'll tolerate it. If he still has testicles, you can feel them. They feel sort of like gummy marbles. If he doesn't, it'll just be an empty fur sack. That's what the vet will do, so if you're willing to grope a kitty a little, you can save the vet trip ;). If he still has them, give the TNR clinic a call and ask what's up. I've heard of cats being missed at mass clinics but they try really hard to avoid that.

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some males don't look like they're neutered, especially if they were past puberty when it was done. Did he ever look like surgery was done? Did he have visible stitches/glue/incisions?
He was about a year old when I took him in. I can't say that I noticed at the time if he looked done.

Maybe I'll give him a gentle squeeze this evening.

I have to stop at my vet's office today for some prescription food so I'm going to talk to them about it while I'm there. I'll bring the paperwork and photo.

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an appointment with the clinic who did the neutering. I showed the photo to my vet and she said it could be hematoma. I will report back as I learn.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The last two males I had done were taken care of at my own vet from whom I do not expect any slip ups as he limits the number of surgeries per day. It was explained to me that there is a more recent way of neutering where the sac appears to be intact and both of my boys looked exactly like yours but were definitely put out of commission. In fact, I then TNRed a huge male neighborhood bully who I know has an owner but I was confident that they would never notice a different in his nether regions so I was not concerned with going ahead and taking care of him.

Sibcat7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

My cat was neutered 2.5 months ago and like fionasmom’s cats, the sac was intact but he was indeed neutered. I was told that it’s the new way of neutering.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Funny.....I was told the same thing. It is almost like they have made the surgery more cosmetically appealing which I find almost humorous. There must be a good reason for doing it that way.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
All of my male cats were neutered that way. The vet sedates the cat, numbs the area and shaves a patch around the sac. Then he makes a tiny incision and draws the testicles out through that, then seals the incision with glue.

No stitches to worry about and I guess less dangerous that a full anesthetic, although I'm not a vet so I don't know that for sure.

My cats all still have their sac, but it deflates over time. You can tell they've been fixed.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I did have a funny experience with a feral around here who had, as it turns out, been TNRed by a feeder two blocks up the street....and I just found out about her from the TNR Project. He was not friendly, an adult, but did not run away from me, so I spent a certain amount of time trying to look under his tail as he ate, and was quite confused to see what appeared to be a sac, but also a tipped ear.