Is it pica or just acting out?

anxiousmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello furriends!

My handsome Momo has been doing pretty great lately, except for ONE problem behavior...he chews the corners of his scratcher and cat condo, tugging out the carpet strands! I’ve done some pretty extensive reading on this site and on cat behavior sites, but I’m struggling to figure out whether or not it’s pica, and whether to discourage or ignore it...

He doesn’t ALWAYS eat the carpet pieces, but it seems like, when he does, it was his intention all along (and not just it getting stuck on his tongue and him deciding to swallow it). It doesn’t seem like he does this behavior very much when I’m gone, or I think I’d find a lot more strands missing, on the ground, or in his stool. I worry that, if I ignore it to show him that it doesn’t get my attention (positive or negative), he’ll eat a bunch and get a stomach obstruction :(

He doesn’t seem to want to eat other non-food items, and it’s never our floor carpet — only the carpet on the edges of his tower and scratcher. He does seem to like to lick specific fluffy blankets (residual wool sucking habit, I assume), but again doesn’t tear at or try to eat them. I don’t have enough money to try a different material on the condo/scratcher base, or I’d try that to see if it’s just that type of carpet.

If it’s stress-related pica (still adjusting to new home, wanting more space to roam since other kitty doesn’t like him yet, high energy, etc.), I’m hoping that scheduled walks (he has done fantastic with harness training!) and the Feliway I just got a few days ago will help.

But...could he just be acting out? And if he is, do I ignore it? It feels like a risky behavior to ignore :(

Thanks!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I think many cats have some sort of draw to certain non-food items, and most probably wouldn't be considered actual pica. For instance, Feeby LOVES to chew on plastic bags if she can get to one. And, she loves biting on metal - such as a ring on a purse strap. But, pretty much nothing else.

Anyway, it isn't likely intentional acting out, but it could be related to all the recent changes, being a bit bored perhaps, and finding enjoyment out of pulling the fibers out. It could also be a form of play with cat scratcher/tower. If you choose to try to train him to NOT do it, then you would likely have to put the scratcher/tower away when you are not home - otherwise there would be no consistency in the training.

Short of taking the scratcher away from him altogether, I am not sure there is much you can do. Other than to continue to keep an eye on how much he might eating/pooping. But, if I were you, I'd start saving up for a new scratcher or replacement material. It my be possible to buy some cheap remnant material - many of the home improvement stores sell them. You could even check with carpet stores/installers and see if you could have their leftovers?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Picking at carpet, chewing cardboard, peeling wallpaper are all things some cats find entertaining and probably relaxing. As long as they are doing it on an acceptable material and not eating anything it’s okay. If it is stringy things however, it is easy for those to get inadvertently swallowed so you want to remove that item or Maybe see if they can be recovered in a different kind of material, something with fewer strings. Maybe a low pile carpet rather than a looped carpet for example

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

anxiousmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the input! I’ll keep an eye on his eating and stools, and as long as bunches of carpet aren’t going missing I suppose I’ll just try to get him different materials going forward. 💜