Is it okay to leave an indoor/outdoor cat outside for a week?

vareisha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have an indoor/outdoor cat for over 3 years, I have had her ever since she was a kitten. She goes outside on her own whenever she wants and also relieves herself outside. She has also spent countless nights outside, sometimes even 2-3 nights straight, hunts daily (birds and rodents mostly), and becomes restless if not allowed to go outdoors. She mostly likes to come indoors for sleeping and can sleep for up to 12 hours when inside. Now the issue is, I have to be out of station for a week and there are no pet boarding services here. Would it be okay to leave her outdoors for a week? I am not really worried about her safety as there aren’t any wild animals outside and the weather will be fine too. She can hunt on her own and I will also ask my neighbors to feed her regularly. I am just afraid that what if she feels abandoned and never comes back? Is that likely to happen? Please help!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A week is a long time, too long — even for a cat accustomed to being outside a lot. If your neighbors see that she is fed daily and has fresh water, could they possibly have a key to let her inside your home for the 12 hours she likes to sleep indoors? Likely late morning to early evening?

I have cats like that, who would miss me if I were not there for a week to let them in and out. My daughter always comes to let my cats in and out and she stays overnight when I need to be out of town.

Once in, the familiar smells are there, along with the bed(s) or couches they snooze on, along with at least dry food and water inside.

I would advise giving neighbors a key and asking if they mind doing the in and out thing in addition to food and water while you’re gone. A week is too long to be away without your cat going in and out. It can become traumatic for them and they can get very stressed.

You can thank your neighbors for their trouble upon your return with a gift card to their favorite restaurant or store. This is what kind-hearted neighbors and friends do for the sake of their pets!

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Why do you say there aren't wild animals around but say she can hunt for her food, are all those wildlife she's killing not a concern to you at all? Bird flu is still rampant right now and will kill pets if they eat contaminated meat fyi, who would notice if your cat got sick when you are gone?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vareisha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A week is a long time, too long — even for a cat accustomed to being outside a lot. If your neighbors see that she is fed daily and has fresh water, could they possibly have a key to let her inside your home for the 12 hours she likes to sleep indoors? Likely late morning to early evening?

I have cats like that, who would miss me if I were not there for a week to let them in and out. My daughter always comes to let my cats in and out and she stays overnight when I need to be out of town.

Once in, the familiar smells are there, along with the bed(s) or couches they snooze on, along with at least dry food and water inside.

I would advise giving neighbors a key and asking if they mind doing the in and out thing in addition to food and water while you’re gone. A week is too long to be away without your cat going in and out. It can become traumatic for them and they can get very stressed.

You can thank your neighbors for their trouble upon your return with a gift card to their favorite restaurant or store. This is what kind-hearted neighbors and friends do for the sake of their pets!
I would have done that but she doesn't get along with anyone else. :( Guess I'll just have to stay. Thanks a lot for your response though!

vareisha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Why do you say there aren't wild animals around but say she can hunt for her food, are all those wildlife she's killing not a concern to you at all? Bird flu is still rampant right now and will kill pets if they eat contaminated meat fyi, who would notice if your cat got sick when you are gone?
She hunts pigeons and rats and has been doing that for years.

vareisha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, welcome!
Leave a couple of pieces of worn unwashed clothing outside (such as socks) so she has your scent there.
Thank you but idk, i don't think i'll be at peace knowing i have left her alone so i guess i just won't go.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It would probably be fine. But the truth is that an indoor/outdoor cat can always just wander off. Its not super common but it happens. If your gone a week, that very small chance would be a bit higher that week.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
i don't think i'll be at peace knowing i have left her alone so i guess i just won't go.
Even though our cat is indoors only l worry when we're gone for vacation. We have a wonderful pet sitter who comes twice a day and I'm still apprehensive about leaving him. He's very attached to us and visa versa. I'm sorry that you won't be going away but if it gives you peace of mind not leaving her alone for a week then I think you're doing the right thing staying at home. 🤗

Timbo ba jimbo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes I agree leave something That. smells like you. She will wait for you. Maybe. Get one of those continuous? Feeders. Because in the forest they hunt as supplemental. They do rely on us for food. And companionship. She will be. probably be a little freaked out at 1st But she'll be. OK. I have a cat very Is same circumstances. I had an accident 3 years ago. Laid in a hospital in a coma for 2 months. And my cat was super glad to see me When I got home and pissed. But she did OK. You know your cat better than anyone so just get Her. ready and go.