Is it okay to give your cat milk?

peeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I read somewhere that they can't digest milk very well. This morning my DH had a cup of milk on the bedside table and Frankie started drinking it. I figure if it's okay, I'll give him a treat of milk once in a while since he likes it unless it's bad for him.

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are lactose intolerant so should avoid milk, I'm sure if he only had a little the worst that could happen is an upset stomach- which I'm sure will be unpleasant enough for both of you

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats are able to tolerate it, but a lot of them have lactose issues and it can give them a bellyache and runny stools. If you do a search on "milk" you will find a lot of threads that talk about this on here.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
you can buy "cat milk" at the store though, I believe Whiskas makes it and its called Cat Sip or something. most cats are lactose intolerant, not all though, but like Nate said, if he is it would very unpleasant

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by peeps

I read somewhere that they can't digest milk very well. This morning my DH had a cup of milk on the bedside table and Frankie started drinking it. I figure if it's okay, I'll give him a treat of milk once in a while since he likes it unless it's bad for him.
I am going to assume you are talking about cow's milk? My opinion is that cow's milk is intended for cows. Cat's milk is intended for cats. Just makes sense to me. DW also thinks that human's milk is meant for humans, and never fed our daughter cow's milk because she reasoned that our daughter was not a cow
. I would assume in the great scheme of things that through evolution or creation, milk of a species is designed for that species. I do understand that there are circumstances where you must feed a species another species' milk, but it just makes sense that the creator (whoever/whatever) gave all species the mother's milk best for them until such time as weaned, which evolution/creation takes care of. However; mankind does engineer such things as soy milk and this seems to be selling quite well now at the supermarket. I have not researched this although this may be an alternative to feeding your cat cow's milk.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi

However; mankind does engineer such things as soy milk and this seems to be selling quite well now at the supermarket. I have not researched this although this may be an alternative to feeding your cat cow's milk.
Many cats are allergic to soy, though. Lactose-reduced milk from the grocery store, or "cat milk", such as the Whiskas brand, are usually okay. Some people have said their cats tolerate goat's milk.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

peeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds like since he's not used to being given milk that I'm better off not starting to give it to him. Hopefully he didn't drink too much out of my DH's glass this morning. I guess I might find out when I get home and scoop out the litter box.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by peeps

Sounds like since he's not used to being given milk that I'm better off not starting to give it to him. Hopefully he didn't drink too much out of my DH's glass this morning. I guess I might find out when I get home and scoop out the litter box.
Well, you'll find out. Some cats have absolutely no trouble at all with cow's milk, and yours might fall into that category.

livedeeply

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What about cream? Like, say, heavy whipping cream? Does it have lactose in it?

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say cream had a load of fat in it, so not particularly good for your kitty, maybe a lick, but no more............

My vet used to prescribe a small amount of cows milk when Dino had constipation and well as mentioned above it certainly loosens things
but obviously not an every day thing.

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cream has lactose in it, but not nearly as much as milk does. It should be okay in small amounts, except for very sensitive cats.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To be honest, two of mine often 'clean' the cereal bowls without problem, We let them have it as a treat once a week (they wouldn't drink milk if you gave them it in a bowl though, it has to be leftover from cereal
)

Some cats handle it fine, but if you aren't sure and would like to give a treat of milk, the catsip is a great alternative and comes with added nutrients and taurine

gert452000

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My little girl is 17 years old. If she doesn't get her twice daily squirt of Redi-whip she pouts. She has receieved this treat since infancy. She is healthy and as active as any 17 year old would be. I don't know if Redi-whip would be the same as regular milk or not. What I do know is if I were to run out she would make me move out of the house. Because as we all know we don't own the house, the cats do and they allow us to live with them. Ain't they special?

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only time I've given my cats cows milk, is when they were sick and I had to mix some powder medicine in something they would lap right up. If I give it to them they get the runs bad and boy does it stink!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gert452000

My little girl is 17 years old. If she doesn't get her twice daily squirt of Redi-whip she pouts. She has receieved this treat since infancy. She is healthy and as active as any 17 year old would be. I don't know if Redi-whip would be the same as regular milk or not. What I do know is if I were to run out she would make me move out of the house. Because as we all know we don't own the house, the cats do and they allow us to live with them. Ain't they special?
I doubt if Redi-whip has any dairy products at all in it.
I don't buy it, but I imagine it's more oil products and additives.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine get a treat of goats milk which they all love. It is useful to keep them liking it and used to it in case I have to give them some liquid medicine or supplement their food if they are sick.

foxfire

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've never given my cat milk; have heard it can upset their stomach.

A friend gave me a box of Cat-sip, I think it's called not long after I got my cat. He took one sniff at it and looked at me like "You think I'm gonna drink that??!! You gotta be kidding!!! I tried to tell him it's gooooood stuff, but he never believed me.