Is it okay to give my cat an unopened Hill's dryfood bag best before nov 2021?

CandyCandy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I've discovered this bag of dryfood hairball control from Hill's that I've never opened, but it has a best before date of november 2021. Given my finances I cannot afford to buy another big bag from Hills so I was wondering because its like new, completely unopened if it'd be ok to feed my cat with it, given obviously that once opened it doesnt show any signs of being stale or having a bad smell or any other bad sign.

Ideally in any other time I'd thrown it out, but its a big bag, unopened and was quite expensive, but first priority is obviously my cat's health

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CandyCandy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, I can get plenty of other food, but Hills, this is my only chance for the foreseeable future, and the only dry food she likes is this one, but if it isn't safe, then obviously I will have to put the bag in the garbage, my main concern is her health

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ehhhh..... I'd pass on it if it was my cat. You can sometimes push the best by date out 3 months but 5 months seems to be risking trouble. If you really can't afford to buy a different bag, you could try it and see if she will eat it. But I don't know if it run the risk since if it makes her sick you could be looking at a vet bill that would exceed a single bag of foods cost.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would not feed that. Old food will degrade and lose nutrients and become less tasty and even go rancid.
There are expiration dates for a reason. Canned cat food usually has a better shelf life - but not dry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CandyCandy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks gals and guys for the answers, I will not feed her with that food