Is it okay to freeze canned food for the long term?

mmin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! Just wanted to ask, is there any harm if i were to portion out ziwipeak’s canned cat food into individual portions and freeze the portions? Because it tends to smell weird/ not as good by the time im finishing the can (less than 7 days as noted on the can), so im trying to freeze it and only defrost individual portions. Would there be any harm to nutrients etc in doing that? I read online that freezing can change the texture and taste? Has anyone tried it and hav their cats not eat it after its frozen and then defrosted?
Thank you!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes it's fine to freeze canned food:) Freezing won't affect the nutrition, no different from frozen veggies or other food you might buy for yourself. I've never noticed freezing affecting texture or taste. Some finicky cats may detect something "off" and not eat though. Try freezing a small amount of food for a couple of days and testing your cat's response to the thawed out food.

Personally, I keep a 3 oz can in the fridge for a little longer than a week sometimes. I only feed a little bit as a bedtime snacks. The food is still fine and neither cat has an issue with it.

sasha.mccartney2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!

It never crossed my mind you can actually do that! I think it should be fine, I know from people who do barf that their "ingredients" often get frozen and that's nearly the same, right? It's mostly just meat and other parts from the animal, mushed and canned. If you'd freeze it over longer periods of time there might be a slight loss of flavor and vitamins etc but if you only plan on freezing it for a couple of days it should be fine!