Is It Okay For My Cat To Eat Oily Things?

JennKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my 3 months old kitten always jumps onto the table, and he always likes to eat my food. Is it okay to let him eat? The meat he ate was chicken, but it was cooked with oil and some salt. Is it okay?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Due to the salt/sodium and any other seasonings that you have on your foods, it would be better if you could cook some unseasoned and let him have that.

What would also be good is, if you aren't already, if you can increase his wet food meals to 4-5 small meals daily and also have some kitten kibble out for overnight.

Kittens' smaller tummies process smaller meals more easily, and they need to eat a LOT to fuel the incredible growth that's going on, of their brain, bones, nervous and disgestive systems, teeth, eyes... if there's just a little bit left on his plate you'll know you've provided enough :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Something Furballsmom Furballsmom said triggered a thought, which was probably her point anyway... I am sure that it is not true of all cats, but I have always been under the impression that if a cat isn't 'trained', so to speak, to eat human food, they probably wouldn't want to.

I am not saying that you are intentionally 'training' him to learn to like human food, but I am wondering if your kitten is just not getting enough to eat of his own food, and is therefore interested in yours? They certainly do need a lot to eat!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am all for giving the cat chicken or any meat really. As long as it is unseasoned especially with garlic and salt. I hate when people simply state they won't give pets human food, because there is NOTHING wrong with many human foods for animals and actually some are a nice suppliment to their own food. Especially when we are talking about carnivorous cats eating our own cooked meat, and over weight dogs eating veggies, things like that are very beneficial. As long as there is nothing toxic to animals in our food, and as long as they are not becoming obese, go for it.

Kefa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I let my previous cats taste just about anything they wanted too, barring the list of things to never feed your cat, like chocolate. And I cooked without salt and spices anyway because of my own digestion issues so there was never any reason they couldn't have "people" food.

LadyLondonderry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I let my previous cats taste just about anything they wanted too, barring the list of things to never feed your cat, like chocolate. And I cooked without salt and spices anyway because of my own digestion issues so there was never any reason they couldn't have "people" food.
Somewhere along the line, I got into the habit of cooking my own meat and fish with minimal seasoning just because I knew Sylvie would be thrilled if I gave her a little bit of them, properly smushed up, when I was done eating.