Is it okay for kitten to sometimes lick her spay sutures?

HoneyPeppa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's 5 months old and got spayed yesterday. The top of the incision is closed with glue so there are no actual stitches exposed. I know you're not supposed to let them mess with the incision, but she has made dangerous for her to wear anything that stops her from reaching it by completely freaking out running/flailing/banging into things whenever anything is on her. Other than it being dangerous I don't want to make her wear things and make her stress worse when I've never seen her even close to this miserable... So my past 24 hours have just been me having to constantly watch her and stop her from licking her tummy (other than the times I tried to make her wear something) and I'm exhausted

I'm wondering now if the advice to not let them mess with the incision is for cats that are doing it more obsessively or actually biting it. All she does is occasionally try to lick it. Is that okay? Would she be okay if she licked it while I was sleeping and I couldn't stop her?

If I need to keep stopping her, at what point is it healed enough that I can relax more about it?

Help please!

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my girl was spayed, she wasn't given any cover or protection and my vet told me that she will clean her incision and that's totally ok, I should react only if she pulls her stitches. I would call your vet and ask if it's your case as well.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wearing the cone will only stress her out for an hour or so. Trust me. Cats are very dramatic with the cone. She won’t die or have lasting trauma. After an hour, she’ll figure out how to move about, eat, sleep and it will keep her from constantly licking her sutures. You can always give her a break every now and then.

The cone will also restrict her movements so she stays rested most of the time 🙂

Both my cats were given cones during their spay and one of them have worn it several times due to other issues. She wore it for a month because she won’t stop trying to pull out stitches on her surgery.

You can always opt for the soft cones so she’ll be more comfortable.