Is it ok to let your cat heal after spaying with no cone or pet jacket??

Chloe and Winnie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 1 year old rescue Winnie has just been spayed today and the vet has given her a ‘pet jacket’ which is far too big for her she she is becoming extremely distressed wearing it, howling and growling and trying (sometimes succeeding) to get it off. I couldn’t bear seeing her like that so I have taken it off her and she seems fine, not licking or scratching at her stitches and generally much happier.

I wondered, is it ok to leave her without any thing on overnight? I would hate for her to harm herself or her stitches but I just don’t see the jacket lasting.
Thanks in asvande

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Every case is different, but I did not use a cone or a 'jacket' with my cat. She did just fine. The thing is because every cat is different, you do need to closely watch her. Also, the itchiness that comes from healing has probably not yet set in - so be aware of that aspect.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've never used a cone or anything post-spay on my girls. I kept them confined overnight to let the anesthesia wear off and then let them do their thing the next day.

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If she doesn't chew or lick at the stitches then she should be fine without it. But, as previously mentioned, the area probably won't start to itch or irritate her for a few more days yet, so don't get complacent.