Is it ok to feed my CRF kitty raw chicken?

maverickmills

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My boy Maverick has recently been diagnosed with CRF. After coming home from the vet he was dreadfully distressed - ( all my cats are 100% indoor ) as he had never been ill or away from home before. He had not had much to eat at all over the past week apart from a little force feeding while at the vet, but tonight I was able to get him to eat a sizeable meal of raw chicken.

Is chicken high in phos?

Any help at all with a home cooked diet would be appreciated as he won't have anything to do with the k/d renal food I have for him.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I honestly don't know if it's high in phos or not, but I fed my CRF cat raw meats too, and his Vet was perfectly fine with it.  With CRF cats, the better the protein, the better, but if you feed him raw, just try to make sure you give him a balance diet over the long run.  Chicken breast alone will not be sufficient.  He will need calclium, vitamins, etc.   I know you have another thread or two going where, hopefully, you are getting additional info.  If you are interested in feeding raw, there is lots of info in the "raw forum"

dianeandbooboo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have never had a cat with CRF but I will say as someone who has worked in veterinary medicine for several years, do not feed dry food.  It is usually the first thing a conventional vet will give you and it is the very worst thing you can feed.  In many cases CRF is caused by feeding dry food and it doesn't matter how good the quality is the fact is that cats are not designed to eat kibble.  It takes the body a lot of energy to breakdown and absorb the nutrients.  The other problem with kibble is that cats that eat it are in a constant state of dehydration since cats are desert dwellers they get their moisture from their prey and that is why raw food is excellent.  Though you need to do more than just put down some chicken breasts that just isn't balanced since I have never had a cat with CRF I am sure someone here will give you info making your own but I feed Rad Cat it is a fantastic food and cats love it.  The most important thing with CRF is to make sure the cat is hydrated and getting their cats to eat anything is usually the challenge most owners find.

Good luck with your kitty. 

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my boy kitty was diagnosed with lymphosarcoma I ordered stella and chewy's freeze dried raw chicken and salmon and also a bag of freeze dried raw chicken. You can add water to it to reconstitute it (just like freeze dried coffee lol). It is a good way to start raw feeding if you have not already done it. 

There are quite a few other people on this site who have a lot of experience with raw feeding and I'm sure they will chime in with more info for you :-)

Good luck with your kitty, am sending you vibes :-)