Is it ok for cats to eat cheese?

zguy95135

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was making a sandwich a few minutes ago and a little piece of monterey jack fell off the counter and landed right in front of Smokey. She wolfed that thing down really quickly and started mewing for more (which is really rare). So I gave her another little peice, and she really seemed to like it, because she started following me around the house asking for more.

Will it make her sick or give her an upset stomach? A couple days ago she made this vile smelling poop
, it felt like it was searing my lungs x_x . I really dont want to have to go through that again

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I have never had a problem with giving my cat small amounts of cheese occasionally, but some cats handle dairy products better than others.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cheese really isn't good for most cats to eat. Most cats are very lactose intolerant. So diary products (milk, cheese, yogert, ice cream...all the good tasting stuff
) can cause them runny stool and in some cases very serious diarreha and vomitting. If your kitty has had the stinky stool before she may have a sensitive tummy.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our wee Mika absolutely loves cheese. She'll go to any lengths to get some. Naturally we don't give her a lot since it's not good to overdo it. Our other cat Ebony adored vanilla ice cream and would actually use his paw to pull my bowl close to him.

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your Smokey sounds like my Lucky....she knows the sound that the cheese wrapper makes when i take it out and there is a flash of black fur and there she is meowing for cheese!

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Murphy loves cheese! (wierdo) just don't give them too much. I give him a small piece or 2 when I make a sandwich. I agree with Karen, and Miss Mew, cats can be sensitive to dairy, so keep an eye her if its her first time eating dairy. But unless its in excess, I would'nt worry too much

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cats get grated cheese, cream cheese, spray cheese as treats and also when they have to take their pills. Because only small amounts are given, there is never any problem with loose stools

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Most cats ARE very lactose intolerant so it's not the greatest thing for them, but I guess a teeny bit only occassionally wouldnt hurt... Oliver's a sucker for cereal milk and when I do actually eat breakfast I allow him a lap or two, but not much at all.... he always thanks me with a quite stinky (yet not loose) poo later on.... I'd just be careful with the dairy stuff is all

kiaira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My old cat Kiaira just loved cheese! But then again, she loved almost any type of people food she could get her paws on. lol
Sienna likes cheese too though she only gets a tiny piece on occasion because too much can cause GI problems. Tori doesn't like cheese.
Anyway, we haven't experienced any stool issues because of cheese thus far...but they have also never gotten an amount that would create a problem.

shambelle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Teddy has eaten laughing cow cheese - only twice, when we were giving him pills. He realized that the pill was in the cheese very quickly, but loved the cheese! However, we never give him any otherwise.

We're absolutely paranoid about out cats getting anything other than cat food.

zak&rocky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say that you should see what happens with the cat now that she's tried some. If you have a vile smell or runs, I wouldn't give it to the cat again. One of mine loves dairy products. When we first got him, he snuck quite a bit of milk and had nasty diarhea which... well I'll spare you the yucky details. On the other hand, he has had just a bit of cheese and other human treats before with no problem. DH loves to sprinkle cheese on his pasta, and I caught the cat licking the plate, tomato sauce and all when he was done! I also have caught him licking empty cereal bowls, so in moderation, I guess its okay, but I will never purposely give any cat of mine pure milk or anything besides cat food in excess.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine prefer cheese over all other treats. Persil will steal the cheese out of a sandwich while you look the other way! Because most cheeses are heat treated, like yoghurts, the lactose is rarely a problem. But I would not give them a diet based on cheese!

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the basic of what everyone is saying here. Mine like a bite or two of cheese, or to lick a cereal or ice cream bowl from time to time, but it`s a treat...not a diet.
Tedy would EAT ice cream if we`d let him...right out of our bowls and right under our noses while we`re eating it. He makes our eating it almost miserable cause he crys so darn much when we have it. Little beggar anyhow! He can really put the guilt trip on ya! He just can not figure out why in the world you won`t SHARE with him...especially when he wants it SOOOOO BAD! When we sit an empty bowl down for him to lick he starts purring and alternatly "purr-ting" so loud that you can hear him clear in the bathroom! (I guess that means "Thank You, Thank You, Thank you!")
Linda

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Neither of my cats are lactose intolerant and if they've just gone to the vet or gotten nails clipped or been pilled, they get a dribble or milk or a crumb of cheese because they LOVE it. Normally, I reserve this for really special occassions. It's easy to overdo things like that.

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bumping this really old thread because I just caught mine eating from a bowl of parmesan cheese. He really likes them and he wasn't happy when I tried to take away from him after I feel he's had enough.

theresa31

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my cats have eaten cheese. They were ok. They love cheese. But if she already eaten it what can you do? I think she'll be ok.

Last edited:

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Whenever I'm cutting up some cheese Pushkin comes running. He always begs for some and I always give him a tiny bit for a treat.