Is it normal that my cats eyes are always reddish?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is a point so her eyes will easily look reddish...

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If, however, she has almost constant drainage from her eyes, and that crust nose, it won't hurt one thing to have those things checked. Mention the red eye, but I think that may have to do with being a color point.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, take her to the vet for a check up. On the pic its visible there is some sort of a problem. One round open eye, and some problem with the other.

Reddish eye; there MAY be a medical problem, so ask the vet will check this up when you are there for the other problems, but my guess it is because she is a point, ie, the eyes in points are very similiar to these of an albino cat.

Another example I will retell: Our older cat, he has often a red shine in my eyes. Which is bothering, because in his breed they are supposed to be nicely green eyed. (he is green eyed, although its not a good show standard. But he is very nice otherwise in every other aspect). It seems its only me seeing this reddish, perhaps because I have quite strong glasses, and perhaps the light breaks in them / or in my own eyes differently? Anyway, I dont see no red in other cat eyes from the same breed. BUT Nobody else sees the red, not wife, not these experienced breeders whom visit for his stud services.

And wife has been with him to the big city to a vet specialized in eyes, - for another eye problem which can happen - he hasnt - but she did a thoruough check of his eyes, and didnt found any fault nor problem..

So, this red shine in his case, IF there was any red shine for real, is just a cosmetic problem at worst, not any health problem.