Is it normal for Dr. Elsey's kibble to be really hard to chew?

Alice Aurum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently bought a bag of Dr. Elsey's kibble (duck) on Amazon and I noticed that my 6 month old kitten had a hard time chewing it. (I know it's normal for cats to not chew their kibble but my kitty usually chews his other food)

I tried splitting the kibble into two with my fingernails and it was pretty much impossible to do so. Is it safe to feed this kibble to my kitty...? I'm worried that he will have digestion issues considering how hard it is.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you add warm water and let it sit. Buy a can of Fancy Feast classics. Maybe it's his teeth. Or he wants something different

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alice Aurum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can you add warm water and let it sit. Buy a can of Fancy Feast classics. Maybe it's his teeth. Or he wants something different
I don't feel comfortable leaving the kibble out in water because of bacteria overgrowth. (It's something he graze on throughout the day in between wet food feeding)

Majority of his diet is wet food (I rotate tiki cat after dark, ez complete fur cats (a premix that I use with cooked chicken), and fromm) so he's all good.

He loves the taste of Dr. Elsey's... It's just the super hard kibble that I'm concerned about.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe a bad batch? Contact Dr. Elsey with the batch / lot number of the bag and ask.

Was the bag sold directly by Amazon or a third party seller? Third party sellers don't always sell legit products or sell expired products and just change the label somehow.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We use Dr. Elsey's -- only the chicken flavor -- as a snack, treat, and topper. It's always very solid and we use a meat tenderizer to crush it into crumbs when using it as a topper. Our cats can and do chew it, though, when we feed them whole kibbles: the crunching is very audible.