Is It Normal For Cats To Eat Grass?

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi cat lovers,

My 15 month old cat likes to nibble on a little bit of grass almost everyday. Is this normal? She is fully wormed; I apply Advocate on her every 4 weeks and Profender every 3 months for tapeworm.

She doesn't eat a whole lot of it but is this cause for concern? She has never vomited so I don't think it's anything to do with digestive issues?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Its perfectly normal, lots of cats eat grass. It helps their digestive system if they have furballs or feel sick also helps with regular bowel movements and the grass juice contains folic acid. As long as your cat is only eating a little I shouldn't worry.

kattykate

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Definitely yes! They get special nutrients and digest food better. Don't worry, they know for sure what is safe to eat!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't be that sure... sometimes they chew on something that can be harmful or fatal!
:yeah: Cats will eat anything that smells or tastes good to them, even toxic substances like sweet tasting antifreeze.

Lawn grass may contain harmful substances on it so be careful about letting your cat eat it. Fertilizers, road salt, animal poop, parasites, etc can be on lawn grass. Some types of lawn grass can be irritating to a cat's tummy. You can grow your own pot of grass at home using barley, oat, or rye grass seeds.