Is it normal for a kitten to hide for two weeks?

ander35

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I found a stray kitten at 5 weeks old. He has moved under the dresser and has not come out for two weeks. He lets me pet him by reaching under but he won't come out voluntarily. I have pulled him out twice to pet him and he lets me but then it is back to step one.

Is this normal? 

Is this a "feral" cat that cannot interact with humans?

agentspooky

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't give up on him yet. Sometimes it takes awhile for a fearful cat to become more friendly. Try giving him treats while he's under his hiding space, and seeing if you can play with him while he's there. Does he eat under there? You could try slowly moving the food bowl a little bit farther out.

I don't really have much experience with ferals, but I'm sure someone will have some helpful advice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ander35

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you, Agent!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Am I reading right; he is about 7 weeks old now?  That is awfully young.  I'd try to put that one in a small, safe space where they can feel secure but have access to food, water and litter.  I'm not sure if there is more back story that you've posted before. That is just what comes to mind here.

ander35

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He is about 6 weeks, according to the vet. I found him in the bushes at 4 weeks.

dahlia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A feral kitten that age should be able to adjust fairly easily but it will take a little time.  Try to have him in his own room/space where he can come out when he feels safe and it is quiet and have his food, cat box and water right there.  Try to entice him with kitty treats or food and when he will eat with you there, try petting him.  Don't come at him with your hand because that looks like a claw.  Have your hand in a fist and then try using one finger to gently pet him.  He will adjust.  Just be patient.  I hope he has at least had something to eat/drink and gone to the bathroom since you have had him or else there may be health issues.

ander35

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, he eats like a horse and uses the litter box well. I can pet him under there and he purrs and he even purrs when I pull him out but I think Ill stop forcing him, it may be counterproductive.

dahlia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you have a good start on it and I am glad to hear he is eating.  Try getting him to come out voluntarily with wet food or treats.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, he eats like a horse and uses the litter box well. I can pet him under there and he purrs and he even purrs when I pull him out but I think Ill stop forcing him, it may be counterproductive.
Pulling him out, might be.  When we adopted our 2nd cat, a rescue, she hid for a couple of weeks also.  She also was receptive to our pets UNDER the bed and turned to mush once we pulled her out. 

However, I finally realized that she needed to learn to trust her environment, and us on her own.  I stopped reaching for her.  After a couple of days, I came in one morning to feed her and there she was, sitting by the door of the bedroom, looking at me like "Hey, I'm ready for you now!".  

I took it very slowly coming towards her of course, talking calmly, etc.  

It took a bit more time for my BF to jump on board, but once he did the same thing happened for him too.  

She's turned into a real diva, and extremely confident.  In fact, she rules the roost around here,  My other cat doesn't have a clue what hit him lol 

ander35

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hm, I've had mine for 4 weeks now. Still lives under the dresser. He now will come out and let me pet him as long as I am lying down but if I stand he bolts. I am kinda pissed that I took this cat because I am afraid it will not be a regular cat.

ander35

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
well, the thing is, I just washed him because he has fleas so now it is like back to step one. 

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sounds like my cat when I first got him (he was five months old and had been living outside his whole life).

He stayed under my bed for a month. I didn't bother him and kept the door to the bedroom closed so he had his space. He'd come out to eat and use his box and would purr and play under the bed. As he got more comfortable he'd some out at night and check out the room while we were in the bed sleeping. Then he'd come out during the day (in the bedroom only) and play but would run under the bed with any slight movements. I took to hanging out in the bedroom and doing quiet things like reading or even eating dinner (he instantly became a lap cat when he smelled my dinner and was actually crawling all over me wanting to have a bite). He'd be comfortable with us while we were sitting down but if we stood up or walked up to him, he'd go under the bed. I took to going down to his level and petting him and then SLOWLY getting up or SLOWLY walking up to him and he eventually got into his head I wasn't a big monster coming to kill him lol.

Then we started leaving the door open to the bedroom and my husband and I would be in the next room watching TV or whatever and he'd eventually start doing little forays into the rest of the apartment (making tactical retreats back into the bedroom if need be). So it took us a good 6 weeks or so before he was roaming around the house confidently. He's now 2 years old and he's now completely comfortable with us (though not with strangers) and let's me carry him around, rub his belly, hand feed him, play with his feet etc. 

So my advice is to let him have his quiet space. leave a radio or something on low so he gets used to noises and people's voices. Use teaser toys to try adn draw him out into play sessions (a wand, a string, a feather toy etc). If there is a window in the room, get him a cat perch for the window as they love to watch the birds etc out the window. Just let him adapt to you at his own pace and don't rush him or force him.

Good luck!

Last edited:

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
oh also if he's food motivated, reward him with treats for doing things you want him to do (like if he sits in your lap, he gets a treat, or if he is playing with you under the bed and you get him to come out form under the bed to play, then he gets a treat etc.). I wanted my cat to sleep on the bed and he didn't know it was OK to jump on the bed when we got him. He seemed to need permission to do lots of things as he was not used to a home. So i'd give him a treat to get him to jump on the bed or sit on the couch next to us. Now he doesn't need permission to do anything and practically swaggers around the place lol

ander35

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh,it sounds encouraging that someone had a similar situation and he turned out ok. Thank you.

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
NO problem. And please let us see pics of your little fella when he's bold enough to finally come out of hiding :)

Here is Magnus a few days after we got him. he'd play with us from under the bed. I'd try and draw him out with toys.

You can see he's still a bit shy in this video, but curiosity is also drawing him out. Both are real short video clips.

Part 1: Shy

Part 2: Give me that string!