Is It Necessary To Leave My Cat At The Clinic For 5 Days After Spay?

cuppa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can I just say I love this makeshift cone! I didn't even realize it was a paper plate at first! And agreed. her incision looks great! Just keep an eye on it over the next week to make sure it's healing properly. And please keep us updated on her progress! :vibes:

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Since no one has really answered it, the reason you don't want to give food until tomorrow is the anesthesia can cause nausea. You don't want her throwing up, having just been spayed that could really hurt (her belly area is going to be sore as it is) and risks pulling the stitches if she throws up too forcefully. So it's best to wait until you are sure it's all out of her system before giving her any food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sam and tiana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!
I thought this was a bit annoying but I'm glad it's all good. I was embarrassed about the paper cone hehe thank you for making me feel better about it cuppa cuppa .

Tiana is doing fine, she's back to her normal self. Her eyes are still a bit dilated but today in the morning she jumped up on me and was a purring machine, she was walking around alot and seems to understand she cannot jump too high. Her back leg seems to drag and stretch a bit when she walks is that normal? Also, the doc had said my dad to apply ointment to her today called fucidin. Since he works at a pharmacy he could get it without paying but I'm wondering if this is OK? They said to apply a small amount and slowly massage it in with clean fingers. It's an antibiotic ointment. She also had a light meal and drank lots of water so overall she's doing just fine.
15570608578171480840635633741993.jpg
15570609205756101624048566644768.jpg

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad Tiana is doing ok today and is eating and drinking. She will be sore for a couple of days so I would imagine that extending her back legs will be uncomfortable. As for the cream, I have no experience of using anything after a spay. The cream seems to be incase of infection but if you apply it, be very gentle and dont put too much on in case she licks it. Hopefully others with experience of using this or similar cream will respond soon.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It will help her accept the cone if you help her wash those parts that she can't and that need to be washed. I'm amazed that vets don't mention this, but they don't. soft cloth and warm water should do fine, no soap.

cuppa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Honestly the paper cone is ingenious. It's great improvisation!

For extending her legs, I think I know exactly what you mean. It's not every time she walks, right? My cats do it after getting up from a nap or laying down for a while. Like they'll take a couple steps, and then stretch! I think she's just stretching her legs.

I cant really advise on the cream since I'm not entirely familiar with it. I know you cant use topical ointments with pain relief, but this looks like it's just an antibiotic cream. If you do use it, make sure she doesn't ingest any. If you're unsure about the cream, try ringing your vet, and they should be able to explain why they want you to use it.

Sam and tiana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've called the vet and they said to use it to avoid infection. Since homes are not sterilized he says it'll be better to use this cream incase there's an infection. He instructed to use it only on the wound and to make sure it's not visible and completely dissolved into the skin. My dad as a pharmacist, says it will be okay as long as she won't ingest it. I'm gonna trust them both and use it on her right now. I'll update if I see anything wrong. I checked the wound and there's a bit of a swelling but the redness has not spread and became a little less vibrant. The black thread looks a little loose but idk much so I need everyone's opinion.
IMG_20190505_192512.jpg

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The wound looks clean. There will be a little swelling and maybe redness but thats normal. Later you may find a bit of a lump, that is just scar tissue which will go. You are doing a good job of looking after her.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think I've seen that ointment used, sounds familiar. I would just double check that it's the right amount of ingredient, it's not always the same for the pet version as the human one. The pet version sometimes has less of the active ingredient.

Sam and tiana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Came back from the vet, a male nurse injected her a mixture of penicillin and dexamethasone, he also spayed a bit of it on her wound which made it pale white. She was really unhappy and hissed at the nurse, she was growling and shivering which scared me because I've never seen her like that before. She didn't make a fuss before at the vet clinic, so this was a bit weird. Also, the nurse couldn't find a cone that would fit her neck so he used a xray screen to fit around her. Idk if it's safe but she seems to adjust to it. Other than all that she is doing fine, eating and drinking although her poop looks a little weird. It's thin and a bit too hard than her normal poop. That's about it sorry for the weird details.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for updating us. How does the scar look. Anesthetic will have an effect on her poop for a day or so. I would think she is still a little sore and thats why she reacted the way she did on the vets.

Sam and tiana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for updating us. How does the scar look. Anesthetic will have an effect on her poop for a day or so. I would think she is still a little sore and thats why she reacted the way she did on the vets.
The scar's looking pretty much the same, the vet told us to look out for any swelling or redness. Good to know the poop isn't anything bad although I don't think the same about the male nurse...
IMG_20190507_044333.jpg
IMG_20190507_044224.jpg

cuppa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The wound is looking great! Barely any redness, and doesn't appear abnormally swollen. My female had a little bit of a bump at the spay site for a few weeks after I adopted her. It's mostly flat now, so I'm sure the scar will flatten out for your girl over time (and after healing).

She's probably a very small kitten, so it makes sense that a cone might be too big on her. I got a small one at the pet store, and even on it's smallest setting still seems kinda bit on my very large cat. If you're concerned at all, just check her neck every once in a while to make sure it isn't irritating her. I'm not an expert on x-rays, but the screen is probably just a type of plastic. Should be OK

And I agree with others. It's not too strange that she would hiss or growl after everything. She's probably sore and a little tired of being manhandled by unfamiliar people. As long as she isn't outright attacking the vet/tech, I see no problem with her behavior.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sam and tiana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The wound is looking great! Barely any redness, and doesn't appear abnormally swollen. My female had a little bit of a bump at the spay site for a few weeks after I adopted her. It's mostly flat now, so I'm sure the scar will flatten out for your girl over time (and after healing).

She's probably a very small kitten, so it makes sense that a cone might be too big on her. I got a small one at the pet store, and even on it's smallest setting still seems kinda bit on my very large cat. If you're concerned at all, just check her neck every once in a while to make sure it isn't irritating her. I'm not an expert on x-rays, but the screen is probably just a type of plastic. Should be OK

And I agree with others. It's not too strange that she would hiss or growl after everything. She's probably sore and a little tired of being manhandled by unfamiliar people. As long as she isn't outright attacking the vet/tech, I see no problem with her behavior.
Ah thanks, I've removed the cone since she doesn't seem to bother it except to clean the area. It's healing really good and it's proving to be very difficult to keep her still :dizzycat:

So I think this will mark the end of a very weird journey, but I've learned a lot. Big thanks to everyone who replied and kept on checking in :catlove: I didn't think this thread would become so long and I'm sorry if I've annoyed all of you with the stupid questions :doh:

Some more photos to show how she's been healing.
IMG_20190511_223249.jpg
IMG_20190511_223337.jpg

Also, English is not my first language so sorry for the errors I try.... :oops:

cuppa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We're not annoyed at all! We love being kept up to date! Love to know what has happened. :cheerleader:

I'm so glad that she seems to have made such a quick and neat recovery. She has such a wonderful and kind person taking care of her! Hope to see more threads from you in the future as she grows

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Glad to hear everything is OK. You haven't bothered us with your questions at all, we hope you're going to stick around and tell us more about your lovely girl.

If you haven't done so, why not come and introduce yourself on our New Cats on the Block forum.

I'd like to see some more pictures of her.

:)

Sam and tiana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aw thanks guys! I'm glad everything went well too. I've originally only made this account because I wanted to ask this question but now I love this website. I'll definitely check the new cats forum, I can't believe I haven't even explored around this site :doh: