Is it inbreed?

lynettz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have found fine rus kittens - male and female but they are related and although breeder says that relation is OK I have doubts, but I really like both. Girl's great grandparents on mom side are the same as boy's grandparents on dad side, other cats are from different lines. What is Your opinion - can they be mates?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd have to look at the entire pedigree. Some close or same relatives is ok in the background. BUT if these kittens are not show quality cats, they should not be used in any breeding program.

And you would have to keep them separated till they were about 9-10 months old at the earliest to breed them. The male will eventually spray and need to be caged or kept in his own room - you can't let them run loose together.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lynettz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Breeder of those kittens has a good reputation and their ancestors have achievements (CFA champions/grands, recently even won a CFA show). Kittens are also show quality, so I guess I'll go for it. Thank you for your help and have a great day!

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another clueless newbie jumping head first into breeding without even the slightest idea of what to do, then decides to go ahead after 20 minutes and 2 responses, both of which were leaning towards not doing it.

Lynettz, you need a MENTOR, if you're going to start breeding cats, unless you want to be yet another Back Yard Breeder who just produces kittens for profit with no intention of contributing to and helping inprove the breed itself.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Show the kittens first to really assess the quality. I find it hard to believe a "good breeder" would even sell a pair of kittens to someone that has no experience. I strongly suggest you spay/neuter them and study more, like Nial says.

You need to be in it for the right reasons.

BTW good luck. My first purebred was a RB and I had ONE litter because I did not have homes for the kittens and it took awhile to find the right homes. I kept a son (and neutered him) and showed him myself to Grand Champion. After that litter I spayed the mother because I just didn't have the people interested in owning a RB.

I got into Cornish Rex and showed many cats/kittens to grand champion and I always had a waiting list of people waiting for kittens.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was wondering the same thing.
Have you ever bred before or been to shows?
If you have not done either then I do not understand how you can get a cat with breeding rights from a good breeder.
I plan on breeding sphynx in the future once I am ready.
I show alters right now and have been offered cats with breeding rights.
I do have breeders that are helping me.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do hope you have a mentor, and hopefully have shown neuters to help learn about the breed. There is probably a Yahoo group for Russian breeders/owners you could join for advice. Showing neuters is also a wonderful way to meet other breeders, even if they have a different breed you can gain knowledge on what breeding entails.

I would want to know the ICC% of the kittens, and their ICC% when combined. Then you'll know if they are too inbred or not.

Personally I wouldn't get a breeding pair, I would start with a female and stud her out (often the breeder you buy the female from will allow use of her studs) or you'll need to use your mentors for help with mating.

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's not only the degree of inbreeding that matters: are the individuals you double up to standard, are they healthy, are/we're they good breeding cats etc.

I'd advice you to do some studying on the breed and genetics and when you have gathered some knowledge you know what choices you'll be comfortable with doing.