Is It Fine To Feed Kittens A Different Food Product For Each Meal?

YazanYosor

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two Arabian Mau kittens rescued from the street.
Three months old male and five months old female.
Both are in good shape after receiving treatment for fungal infections and ready for vaccinations next week.
The vet recommended Royal Canin kitten dry food and wet food.
But the problem is that it's expensive especially the wet food.
I was wondering if I could add Purina Friskies wet food to their diet since it's cheap and seems to be the best product among the cheap ones and also available everywhere.
In this way I could consume less Royal Canin products and not eliminate them entirely.
Is it fine to provide different types of foods daily for the kittens diet with each meal being different from the previous one?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do they have any food sensitivities? Feeding kitten food is best when they are young, and varying the food too much can lead to upset stomachs. If you get into a regular rotation and introduce the new food slowly I would think they would be ok.

Do you plan to spay and neuter soon?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You should be able to give them different types of WET foods without issue, although it is true that certain cats have very sensitive tummies. With the Friskies, I would stick to the Pate versions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

YazanYosor

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do they have any food sensitivities? Feeding kitten food is best when they are young, and varying the food too much can lead to upset stomachs. If you get into a regular rotation and introduce the new food slowly I would think they would be ok.

Do you plan to spay and neuter soon?
No I didn't see any problems with any type food they tried so far.

All the products I give to them are for kittens:
- Royal Canin Dry Food - Kitten Second Age
- Royal Canin Wet Food - Kitten Instinctive in Gravy
- Purina Friskies Wet Food - Junior With Chicken In Gravy

The female should be spayed soon. I will wait for the male a little bit.

You should be able to give them different types of WET foods without issue, although it is true that certain cats have very sensitive tummies. With the Friskies, I would stick to the Pate versions.
I just started recently giving them at least one meal every day from each product listed above. I will see what happens during the next few days. So far I didn't see any vomiting or diarrhea. I'm optimistic because the Arabian Mau seems to be a very strong breed.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just to agree. Some cats have sensitive tummies, and there you must change stepwise. Others are practically all-eaters, having stomach of iron, as they say. And anything reasonable will go.

Observe goats milk is always a OK supplement, if you deem they would need some more substantial fluid than water.
Plain full fat youghurt is another tip in this direction.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

YazanYosor

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just to agree. Some cats have sensitive tummies, and there you must change stepwise. Others are practically all-eaters, having stomach of iron, as they say. And anything reasonable will go.

Observe goats milk is always a OK supplement, if you deem they would need some more substantial fluid than water.
Plain full fat youghurt is another tip in this direction.
Goat milk is hard to find but I can try yogurt.
What about cheddar cheese?
Is it ok to give them as treats?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes. The lactose in these cow milk derivates is strongly reduced, so they are usually OK for cats, at least as treats.