Is it better for a cat to eat less food but have better poops or eat more food and have worse poops?

alzycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone! *WARNING* Detailed discussion of poop below!

The title basically explains it all, but here is some background if needed: My cat is 14 yrs old and was diagnosed with IBD when she was about 11, so we've been dealing with it for a long time now. I've found certain ingredients to avoid in food but have yet to find a food that gives her consistently good poops (she typically has semi-formed/pudding-like poop most of the time; not liquid diarrhea, but not fully solid poop either). We've tried everything you can think of & I've found the 'best' foods for her to get her poop firmed up, but the issue is that she really doesn't like the taste that much. I know that she is hungry because she'll follow me around meowing for food and she'll come running when she thinks she's going to get treats, but she only eats about 1/2 of the can of her food before she refuses to touch it again. She is a fairly thin cat so I do get concerned about getting her to put on weight.

I've been frustrated with her refusal to eat the 'good' food, so I picked up some cans of a different food that I know she really likes. It doesn't contain the ingredients that upset her stomach the most & is still a high-quality, sensitive-tummy approved food, but it definitely doesn't firm up her poops like the other food (not liquid diarrhea, but more consistent pudding poops and less firm poops. I've been told that it may be impossible to get her poops fully firmed due to side effects from her meds). So what is better? Should I feed her the food that she doesn't like as much & just try to supplement the missing calories with treats/dry food? Or should I feed her the high-quality food that she loves, even if it makes her poops a bit worse?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Any chance of mixing the two foods and see if she might like it that way? It may be enough of the 'helpful' food to still help in firming up her poops a bit, but also enough of the food she likes better to get her to eat more?

What meds is she on that you think are contributing to her soft stool?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alzycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. Any chance of mixing the two foods and see if she might like it that way? It may be enough of the 'helpful' food to still help in firming up her poops a bit, but also enough of the food she likes better to get her to eat more?

What meds is she on that you think are contributing to her soft stool?
I haven't tried that yet but it's a great idea! My local store is currently out of the 'good' food so I'll pick some up to try it out once it's back in stock.

She takes Prednisolone (5mg/day).

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is she getting Vit B injections as well? Most cats with IBD get them as it has been know to help. It also helps with their appetite.

I would NOT try to increase her calories by feeding her any dry food. If you wanted to give her some 100% freeze dried meats, that would probably be ok. Something like WholeLife or Purebites because there is nothing in there but meat. High quality protein.

Are you familiar with this site? IBDKitties – Helping Save Lives…One Paw at a Time

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a Cat with IBD a few years back and what made all the difference for her was switching her to a raw/LID diet. IBD can be caused by a lot of things, but in Cats the biggest culprit is either too many plant based junk ingredients, or an allergy/intolerance to specific proteins. An intolerance can be caused over time if there's just 1 or 2 protein sources,

And yes, it's possible the steroid itself could be contributing to her soft stool.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a boy who gets runny poops with a prednisolone injection. He can handle the pills fine, but the shot tears him up. Have you tried saccharomyces boulardii to help firm up poops. We even use Culturelle with success.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried probiotics?

If there is a treat that she loves, you can try to powderize it and sprinkle on top of the good food. I do it sometimes with Greenies. Or do it even with the irritant food that she likes.

alzycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yup, we have tried basically everything mentioned in the comments above. She gets monthly B12 injections and has been getting them for about 5 years. We have tried many probiotics, including S Bouldardii a few different times over the years, but it always seems to make her poops worse. We have also tried raw a few times but I never see any improvement with it (even with only feeding raw consistently for 3+ months). I have found that she seems to do better with foods that don't contain any gums or carrageenan, and it seems like she has an intolerance to chicken, so we avoid that. I was feeding her the Canada Fresh red meat canned food for a few months, but that's the food she seems to just not enjoy as much. We tried red meat protein with other brands too, but she just doesn't seem to like it as much as she likes poultry. She is currently eating the Rawz Turkey and Turkey liver canned food. I've tried their rabbit canned food as well, but it's really expensive and didn't seem to make much of a difference in her stool.

alzycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just want to post another comment to reiterate that her appetite really isn't the issue- she has a great appetite and will eat as much as I give her if it's a food that she likes. She also rarely vomits or has hairballs. I'm pretty familiar with IBD and the common remedies (feeding raw, using probiotics) since she was diagnosed a long time ago & we've been working to try to figure out what is best for her since then.. we have come pretty far (she used to vomit multiple times a day and become dehydrated often from diarrhea), but we just can't seem to get her poop to firm up. Every so often she has a "normal" looking firm poop, but most of the time it is just a bit firmer than pudding. She goes to the vet regularly for check-ups. I've kind of just accepted at this point that we may never find the perfect solution for her to firm up her poop, and as she approaches 15 years old, it may be best to make sure she is getting enough calories rather than obsess over firming up her poop.... but I still have hope and I am willing to try anything that I haven't already!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wow! I'm kind of shocked that even a raw diet didn't help the problem, since their stools pretty much shrink up to practically nothing on raw. Did you try many different proteins when experimenting with raw? Maybe some obscure proteins like kangaroo or even mouse? (Yes, you can buy ground mice, complete with bones and fur :nervous:). I never fed either of those to my raw eaters, and know they are pretty hard to source, but for cats who have specific issues, that may be what is called for. Depending on where you are, obscure meats may be more readily available.

Have you tried home COOKED? Just another option. Otherwise, I'm out of ideas.