Is it bad to touch a pregnant cats belly?

Spoopy_Ramen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently read online that it was bad to pet a pregnant cats belly.
We suspect our cat might be pregnant and she's super cuddly and that means we give her a lot of pets and carry her etc, have we unintentionally harmed our cat?
As we said before we suspect she might be pregnant it's still early but we should know by the end of this week or next.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
I can't see how it's bad to pet a pregnant cat's belly if she allows it. However, you might want to stop carrying her at some point, since it will likely become uncomfortable for her etc.

Are you planning to spay her?

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Had a pregnant kitty before (She was an already pregnant stray when I took her in - Kept her, the babies and everyone got spayed/neutered after. Her three kids are actually my profile pic right now!)

Unless an expert like a vet, it is discouraged to pet or touch a pregnant cats belly. It can be sensitive and delicate to the cat and feel uncomfortable, and too touch pressure can hurt the kittens. No harm in her and you being affectionate, it is lovely and important, but perhaps keep it to the rest of the body like her head, back, neck etc.

Every cat behaves differently when preggers - some want privacy, quiet and space and others want the comfort and love from their human. Like people! My Liffey was the affectionate type, even when she was about to give birth and during she wanted me close by. She was a very young cat herself, so no wonder she would probably feel insecure.

If picking her up make sure to scoop her from the bottom, as not to touch the belly. She sounds like she is still early, so any contact you made before finding out will likely be relatively harmless. Pregnant cats are usually pretty careful with themselves so that is also a sign; Even at the early stages my girl was careful, not even letting the other cats try and play or bat with her, or do strenuous activity. Other signs include swollen and pink nipples, nesting behavior and increased appetite respectively.

And stating the obvious for good measure (I don't want to always jump to conclusions with these things - Don't know how or why this kitty got preggers, could be an oops before surgery especially if the cat goes outdoors, could be planned via professional breeder, could be a stray like my cat was and so forth) I'm going to assume that a spay is planned anyway, but just in case.... *do* make sure it happens!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Spoopy_Ramen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
I can't see how it's bad to pet a pregnant cat's belly if she allows it. However, you might want to stop carrying her at some point, since it will likely become uncomfortable for her etc.

Are you planning to spay her?
Yes we are planing to spay her

Spoopy_Ramen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Had a pregnant kitty before (She was an already pregnant stray when I took her in - Kept her, the babies and everyone got spayed/neutered after. Her three kids are actually my profile pic right now!)

Unless an expert like a vet, it is discouraged to pet or touch a pregnant cats belly. It can be sensitive and delicate to the cat and feel uncomfortable, and too touch pressure can hurt the kittens. No harm in her and you being affectionate, it is lovely and important, but perhaps keep it to the rest of the body like her head, back, neck etc.

Every cat behaves differently when preggers - some want privacy, quiet and space and others want the comfort and love from their human. Like people! My Liffey was the affectionate type, even when she was about to give birth and during she wanted me close by. She was a very young cat herself, so no wonder she would probably feel insecure.

If picking her up make sure to scoop her from the bottom, as not to touch the belly. She sounds like she is still early, so any contact you made before finding out will likely be relatively harmless. Pregnant cats are usually pretty careful with themselves so that is also a sign; Even at the early stages my girl was careful, not even letting the other cats try and play or bat with her, or do strenuous activity. Other signs include swollen and pink nipples, nesting behavior and increased appetite respectively.

And stating the obvious for good measure (I don't want to always jump to conclusions with these things - Don't know how or why this kitty got preggers, could be an oops before surgery especially if the cat goes outdoors, could be planned via professional breeder, could be a stray like my cat was and so forth) I'm going to assume that a spay is planned anyway, but just in case.... *do* make sure it happens!
thank you for the advice and yes we do plan on spaying her :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I recently read online that it was bad to pet a pregnant cats belly.
We suspect our cat might be pregnant and she's super cuddly and that means we give her a lot of pets and carry her etc, have we unintentionally harmed our cat?
As we said before we suspect she might be pregnant it's still early but we should know by the end of this week or next.
If you handle her normally, careful, no roughness, letting her go as soon she wish; I cant imagine a normal, lovingly carrying or cuddling could harm her. Pregnancy isnt no disease, unless there are especial circumstances... OF course, you must be careful, but if you are always careful, it wont be a problem. Unless you have kids whom use to play roughly and she is docile and meek and doesnt dare to protest - yes it MAY be harmful.

Spoopy_Ramen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you handle her normally, careful, no roughness, letting her go as soon she wish; I cant imagine a normal, lovingly carrying or cuddling could harm her. Pregnancy isnt no disease, unless there are especial circumstances... OF course, you must be careful, but if you are always careful, it wont be a problem. Unless you have kids whom use to play roughly and she is docile and meek and doesnt dare to protest - yes it MAY be harmful.
nah we're very careful with her she usually like cuddling up to shoulders and we make sure to support her butt and we don't have any kids that play rough with her

furbabymama93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My baby loves laying right on her back and letting me gently rub her tummy and kiss it and listen to it 😌 I don't see an issue unless they are uncomfortable with you rubbing the belly but most mamas love a little rub to relax them while the babies move around and make them restless . Picking your baby up i would be super gentle but other than that love your baby up 🥰