Is It A Bad Idea To Leave Food Out For Strays?

smosmosmo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have a couple cats in our neighborhood that I think were dumped, and I see a couple others that may belong to a neighbor. I think he tries to look after them the best he can, but they're outside cats and not getting the best care.

I've been wanting to leave food out for these guys for a while now, but have avoided doing so because we have coyotes in our area and because I can't commit to them 100% - any extra money I have goes to my resident cat.

We always have plenty of good-quality wet food around though, since my cat is so picky about what she eats. I'd love to feed it to these strays, but they're skittish and I only catch glimpses of them outside. Would it be a bad idea to leave food for them in the daytime where they hang out? I really don't want to be attracting predators to the area, and I wonder if the food's better off donated to a shelter or rescue.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
You can try to reschedule their eating times by placing food out at certain time of the day and take it away after an hour or so. Repeat again later.

Once they see the food, either they’ll eat almost immediately if they are hungry and are not fed elsewhere by others or they may hang around till the coast is clear that is if they are not used to you yet.

Once they feel safe, they’ll come eat and you can work them around your schedule each time calling them out to eat and to get them get used to you and your voice.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You just got excellent advice. I totally agree that once they know it is available, they’ll come eat if they need it. It may take a little while but they’ll figure it out. Keep the area cleaned up after feeding and remove the dishes. I think it wonderful that you noticed that and want to help them to survive. :clap2:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
A local TNR group uses a clicker when they put out the food to condition the cats to come to the sound and they swear it works and helps with getting a headcount.