Is it a bad idea to bring my cat with me on vacation?

wali_the_cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking of staying in a secluded summer cabin for a couple weeks this summer. A small cabin on a lake or something like that. Just me.

Would it be a terrible idea to bring my cat?

He's blind, so I'm not sure how he'd adapt to a new environment. However he definitely enjoys having me around (he's a little clingy).

Would it be better to leave him home with a sitter?

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
We tend to leave our cats with a sitter when we go on vacation. They are both super clingy, but most cats don’t do well in a new environment. Cats are very territory oriented and so get stressed when that territory changes.

When we moved across country with the cats, they did surprisingly well in the hotels. After a week or so though, one our cats became very withdrawn and hid a lot.

There are definitely stories of “adventure cats” that travel with their owners, but if you have never taken your cat with you anywhere then it is unlikely they will be very happy. There is always the risk that if they were to escape somewhere, they would be very hard to recover in this new area.

Just my two cents, I wish they were more like dogs and enjoyed traveling with us.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I do agree with KarenKat KarenKat about taking your cat, but it is your decision. The biggest concern for me is that the cat might wander off due to some unexpected circumstances like a door that doesn't close properly or a loose window screen. I never take my cats anywhere with me except the vet. If you decide to do this, troubleshoot everything that could go wrong beforehand, including "what if" scenarios.

There are TCS members who travel successfully with their cats and others who have had to make long trips with a cat in order to get it the proper medical attention.

I did have a blind dog years ago. We moved to this house from the house in which she had lost her vision and it was miserable for her. She knew where she was in the old house, knew where the furniture was, water, treats, etc. In this house she was completely lost and for the most part stayed in one place for the rest of her life. She was 11 years old at the time of the move. The fact that the cat knows your house is an important consideration.

Sites like care.com have pet sitter you can hire, you may know someone or have family or friends who could help.

Kilgore.Emily

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have contemplated this more than once and always go against it. I had figured since she goes weekly to the vet for fluids, then maybe it wouldn’t be so bad. Mine is 18 with lots of issues so I hate leaving her with someone randomly. If you want to look into it, my vet informed me they can board her for the weekend and someone checks on her 3-4 times a day and they do it based on weight, so it cost me very little. I’m still apprehensive about that, but at least I know she is in the care of kennel staff who could medicate her for me. I haven’t taken any trips for this reason 🤣😂

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wali_the_cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your input!

I think my reasons for wanting to bring my cat on vacation are selfish — I love him and I don't want to leave him! But the reality is that he'd probably be a lot happier at home in his territory with a sitter coming to feed him.

Thanks everyone!