Is is still a UTI???

SadieCat234

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My female cat is about ten months old now and i’ve had her since she was four months. When she was eight months old I started having problems with peeing in things like clothes baskets, so I brought her to the vet and they said she had a UTI. The first thought of antibiotics did not work, but after the second round of antibiotics she was checked again and the vet said everything was clear. One month later and she has started to pee on things again. I have scheduled another vet appointment, but I am beginning to worry that the pee everywhere will be a constant issue and I really do not want her to be in pain. Is it common for a UTI to come back so fast? Is there anything I can do to keep her from urinating on clothes and furniture?

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just responding to give this a bump for you. Hopefully someone w/ a little more knowledge will come along soon.
I'm not sure about a UTI returning so soon either, but I do know that most animals will pee where they smell it again, so thats why the enzyme cleaners for that is important to use. I know I've seen it at the pet stores like Pet Smart, but can probably get it on Amazon as well.
But yes, a vet check is still important to be sure it hasn't returned. Did they do a urinalysis, or ultrasound? I ask because my first kitty, Angel had a UTI, then ended up with cystitis w/ stervite crystals. We had to flush them out w/ a little fluid every other day, & change to Rx food.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
UTIs can recur for a few different reasons - most commonly it is because the antibiotic that was used to treat the UTI wasn't the most effective one. So, while most any antibiotic can help to reduce the infection, it may not entirely eradicate it. The only way to find that out is through a urine culture being performed on the urinalysis - the culture will identify the specific bacteria involved and what they are most sensitive to in terms of antibiotics.

Pure D-Mannose powder can be put in her food to help clear the bladder of bacteria - lessening the chances of future UTIs. I have included a link below to the one I use with my cat. I use 1/4 tsp a day, but for a smaller cat, you might want to start out with 1/8 tsp. Getting her to drink more water will also help to keep the bladder flushed - multiple water dishes, maybe even try a water fountain. What kind of food does she eat - dry and/or wet?

Cleaning the areas where she pees with enzymatic cleaners to ensure the urine smell is removed will help to discourage her from peeing in those spots again - if she can smell the urine odor, it is like an invitation to go there again and again. I have also included a couple links below about cleaners. If she is prone to peeing on the couch, you can try to use puppy pee pads to see if she would pee on those - will be most helpful in terms of clean up. Keeping clothes off the floor and placing the clothes basket in a location that she can't get to will also help.
Amazon.com: UTI Pets Pure D-Mannose Non GMO Organic Source Powder 65gram jar : Pet Supplies
How To Get Cat Urine Smell Out Of Carpet: Effective, Non-toxic Solutions – TheCatSite Articles
How To Get Cat Pee Smell Out Of Clothes And Linens – TheCatSite Articles

Last edited:

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Jasper had a recurring UTI a few months after his first, so it's possible.

Give everything that was peed on a good cleaning, or replace what you think is replaceable maybe?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
UTI can lead to FLUTD as well. Did they mention if she had had crystals during her urinalysis?
Are you feeding her a sole dry food diet or wet or mixed? Most cats with urinary issues need to be on a mostly, or full wet diet. There are veterinary or over-the-counter wet food diets specific to urinary issues.

I also found for my cat that we needed to switch from clay litter. I found paper, nut shell and wood pellets all worked well for him. We've also used wheat and corn with good success. The litter that was purely pine caused a flare up though. We use Okocat which is mixed woods.

If not already done, having at least one litter per cat and placed in different areas of the home when possible is best. We were not always able to do one per area but once we could, Nobel has found it helpful.

I always uncover my litter boxes when one of the cats is ill as they can be less likely to use a covered one when sick.

Some studies have shown that cats with urinary issues are low in glucosamine, however those same studies found that a wet diet did better for preventing urinary issues than glucosamine suppliments. I do still give glucosamine suppliments.

When hot or if there has been stress or if I know there's going to be stress, I add extra water to his food to "flush his bladder". I always add a little, but I make it to soup at times.

One of the vets he saw stated that urinary issues are linked to stress in cats. I don't know what you do for your cat's enrichment currently, but adding more enrichment always helps lower stress.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A Alldara , Thats interesting info. I've never heard that about the pine litter ( I used to use feline pine for Angel, before the urinary issues , but then having to watch the pee clump size, switched to clumping).
I haven't heard that about glucosamine either. Good to know. Good info to share.
I think Angels issues were deemed " idiopathic." But...after the first UTI, I finally transitioned him to inside only. ( He had adopted me, being a stray). So the cystitis could have been stress related. Although he transitioned pretty well, because the vet had him on amatriptyline to help relax his bladder, so I honestly think he only cried at the door once! Sweet boy💙 Hard to believe that this coming Feb. 5th will be 7 yrs since he's been gone. Lymphoma took my baby boy in the end. He was about 5 when he showed up, & he was with me for 6 & 1/2 yrs. He was my first, & my soul kitty❤

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would check which litter works best - they should always be fragrance free/unscented. I have seen cats get irritation from perfumes (and the stronger pine litters) that resulted in uti ( the I is for irritation, not infection) and/or diarrhea or a reluctance to pee/poop. D- Mannose and the probiotic s,boulardii have many people who got excellent reults; the herbs corn silk, slippery elm, red raspberry leaf and especially marshmallow root are also supported by anecdotal evidence. If the problem is irritation, antibiotics won't be helpful but the traditional medicines are - alert! Consult your vet or a holistic veterinarian about using any herb or supplement.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes! I don't know why they scent things so much. Im very scent sensitive, & cats having a greater sense of smell, think how much stringer it is for them, if it's already strong to us! 😝. I use the original worlds best corn litter. Its no fragrance, & pretty dust free.