Is hydrogen peroxide safe to induce vomiting cats?

Cindyozzy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is hydrogen peroxide ever safe to use on cats to induce vomiting? Many websites say 3% hydrogen peroxide is safe to use for cats to induce vomiting. Others say it is never safe to use on cats. Does anyone know which is correct?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I personally wouldn't risk it.

Do you need to induce vomiting because your cat ate something harmful? The best thing to do is to call the vet for advice. The after hours voice mail message will have info for emergencies. Or call the free poison control hotline: Kansas State University Veterinary Teaching Hospital 1-785-532-5679

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Although I would never attempt to induce vomiting in a cat on my own, whether or not with hydrogen peroxide, I have heard using HP is relatively safe. But, it is always recommended that you consult with a vet before inducing vomiting with anything.

You already did this sometime Thursday with your cat that swallowed a ribbon as I recall (Cat ate a 10 inch piece of thin ribbon), and he did throw up the ribbon. At that time you said he seemed to be OK afterward. Is he still OK? Did you let your vet know what you did, just as a precaution? If he is not OK, get him to the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cindyozzy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is still doing okay and acting normal. I took him to the vet last night just to make sure he was okay since I have been worried about the hydrogen peroxide ever since. She thinks he is fine and said problems to look out for would be continued vomiting or decreased appetite. She prescribed antacids just in case. The vet said they would never use HP because of the risk of aspiration and stomach problems etc it can cause. I regret ever using it and am suprised there are websites that even recommend it as an option.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad your cat is ok :) Yeah, watch out for web sites that are created / own by non-veterinary professionals. Lots of times the information is just bad, harmful information. A good rule of thumb is to contact your vet and ask before giving any treatment / remedy found online even those that seem legit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cindyozzy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am glad he is doing OK - hope it stays that way! Did the vet give you any idea how long you need to watch out for signs of an issue?
The vet thought I would see signs right away that wouldnt subside such as continued vomiting and not wanting to eat. She didnt say how long to watch out for but the impression i got was that she thought he was in the clear by now

J. A. Vann

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is hydrogen peroxide ever safe to use on cats to induce vomiting? Many websites say 3% hydrogen peroxide is safe to use for cats to induce vomiting. Others say it is never safe to use on cats. Does anyone know which is correct?
Never use any thing to induce vomiting on your cat or dog! Peroxide is made to seem like it’s a cure all but it’s a cleanser for wounds & can in special conditions be used as a mouth wash but it’s never to be ingested! Also if you have no idea if your kitty has swallowed something or what kitty swallowed you can do so much more damage! You need to take your cat to a Vet & if kitty swallowed something bad the Vet will give liquid charcoal & whatever is in there will pass in the litter box but if you give your cat anything to cause vomiting & the cat has swallowed something caustic you will cause burning & permanent scaring of your cats throat & digestive system!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've been going over this in another thread (which seems to have been deleted, presumably because there was a post recommending hydrogen peroxide), and I've been thinking about it.

The thing is, there are (rarely) times when we need a safe way to induce vomiting at home, and I think I may have just come up with one. How about milk? Most cats are lactose intolerant (which is not the same as having a milk allergy), so milk tends to make them throw up. Having been lactose intolerant myself, I have a very good notion of how it feels - basically, extreme nausea that leaves once the stomach's been emptied.

Now, this still needs some caveats:
  • Never induce vomiting without being told to by a vet.
  • If your vet tells you how to do it, follow the vet's advice.
  • Never induce vomiting if the cat has swallowed a caustic substance.
  • Never induce vomiting if you're uncertain what your cat has eaten.
And finally, I'm not a vet! I don't know whether this is a safe way to induce vomiting; I just think it may be. Do we have any vets here who can say?

Margret