Is he now an adult?

Knight's Cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had adopted a male kitten who was around 2.5 months old when I took him around 2.5 months ago. So he should be around 5 months.
I made him a kicker toy out of a sock (quite a long one), due to the advice of the Forum members and he loved it so much that it is now his most favorite toy. No matter where he is Just the noise of the kicker will make him come towards it. Sometimes he behaves possessively. Even if he is not playing with it, If you hold the kicker he will take it and hide it somewhere.
The problem is that I saw him humping on the kicker, half a month ago. I stopped him immediately, but he still does it sometimes, when no one is keeping a watch on him.
I had planned to neuter him when he would reach the age of 8 months or so, but seeing his development I am not sure now.
Please advice me what should I do. My main concern is him starting to spray in the house. And also just to say he is extremely eager to run from the house and he likes to go outside.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
You need to neuter well before 8 months. Some vets say 6, others a lot younger. I always have my cats spayed/neutered at five months.
It I were you I'd be booking the appointment. If you go over, the spraying could well start and it's harder to stop it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Knight's Cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the reply,
Wanted to know whether spaying him now would cause any growth issue or any change in behavior?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for the reply,
Wanted to know whether spaying him now would cause any growth issue or any change in behavior?
No growth issues, but definitely changes in behaviour from how he would be as a Tom. You won't notice a difference from his current behaviour, although if his ardent desire to get out is to get at female cats, that could settle.
Often neutered boy cats can be rather smoochy.

If left, boys are likely to develop big jowls and thick necks.
They also often have bits out of them from fighting. :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Knight's Cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for answering,
Can you please tell me till what age does a cat grows?
And also Jowl and thick neck is in any way bad?
Also If possible can you tell me the cost for spaying in your region?

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
...The problem is that I saw him humping on the kicker...
It's not necessarily his mating drive. It could be a dominance issue.
Dogs often hump a human's leg but it's not just because of trying to mate. He's trying to dominate...to say "I'm the big kahuna and I rule over you." The safe solution it to teach him that he doesn't have to be dominant. Give him a safe outlet for his need to be in charge.

With cats, the instinct is similar but not as strong. Cats just need to feel safe in the knowledge that they are the ruler of their domain.

However, whether it's a sexual issue or a dominance issue, neutering will likely stop this behavior.

...My main concern is him starting to spray in the house...
Cats don't spray because they want to. Their brains are hard-wired to make them do it.
Remember, cats in the wild are often fiercely territorial and the only way for males and females to mate up is to leave scent markers as little "calling cards" that let them find each other.

If your cat is starting to spray, it's because his brain is programmed to make him advertise his presence to any available female so that he can pass on his genes to a new generation.

A male cat can't stop doing that. It's almost as if the cat doesn't even know that he's doing it.

The only way to stop a cat spraying is to "reprogram" is brain by getting him neutered.

...he is extremely eager to run from the house and he likes to go outside.
Same thing as above... His brain is programmed to make him do it. He can't stop.

A cat's sense of smell is very sensitive. Some people say that a cat's sense of smell is even more sensitive than a dog's.
Scientists don't know for sure but it sounds plausible to me.

Anyhow, your cat can smell an available female that is in heat from more than a mile away. He can even smell her THROUGH the walls of your house, almost as if there weren't any walls at all.

If your cat isn't neutered, if he smells an available female, he will do ANYTHING to get access to her.
He will yowl and scream. He will try to escape the house at every opportunity and he won't stop until he finds her.

Like I said, your cat might not even realize that he's acting that way. It's just an automatic thing.
The only thought in his mind will be, "I gotta' get a girl! I gotta' get a girl! I gotta' get a girl!"

If you get your cat neutered, ALL of these behaviors will probably stop in ninety days or less.

No, neutering won't make your cat get fat and lazy.
The only way to make your cat get fat is to feed him too much. He will only lazy if you don't play with him and let him get enough physical activity.

The idea that cats get fat and lazy because they are neutered is a myth. There is no basis in reality.

Get your cat neutered now. It's a whole lot easier to correct bad behavior BEFORE it starts.

Neutering will stop that behavior

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you please tell me till what age does a cat grows?\
Cats are generally considered to be "full grown" when they reach 12 to 18 months of age.
Maybe a little bit sooner. Maybe a little bit later. Every cat is different. Every cat will reach adulthood on their own time schedule.

And also Jowl and thick neck is in any way bad?
If your cat has a "thick" (muscular) head and neck it's probably because he has a muscular build.
Cat's bodies "fill out" and become more muscular when they are about to reach adulthood.
What you might be seeing is your cat changing from a kitten to a full grown tomcat.
There MIGHT be some medical reasons but it's too hard to tell without actually seeing your cat in person.

The best thing for you to do is to ask a vet. Just come right out and ask, "Does he have a medical problem or is he just a muscular cat?"

Also If possible can you tell me the cost for spaying in your region?
Here, in the US, the cost to get a male cat neutered is between $50 and $100 (USD)

Sometimes, you can go to a public animal shelter and get a cat spayed for less money. Local governments sometimes give tax money to shelters for neutering so that there are fewer stray cats. In the government's eye, every dollar spent to prevent stray cats being born saves ten dollars when they have to deal with problems caused by strays.

Sometimes, people can apply for assistance from local governments. You fill out some papers and explain how much money you make and, if you fit the criteria, they might pay for some or all of your costs.

Sometimes, privately funded animal rescue organizations can help you get a cat neutered. If they take in so many cats per year, some vets (by prior agreement with the organization) will offer discounts. If you can talk to somebody from one of these organizations, they can give you the name of their vet...or they might even have a vet on their payroll.
That's one way for new vets, freshly graduated from veterinary school, get experience. The do low cost or pro-bono work until they can make a name for themselves.

Thing is...it all depends on where you live. Where are the animal shelters? Who is in charge of them? Does the government have any special programs? Are there any available vets? Are there any private animal welfare organizations?

The best way to find out is to ask around.

Last edited: