Is handcrafted furniture worth it?

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel like I've gone through a lot of couches because they were cheap in price. The main problems I have had with them is they sag in the middle and become uncomfortable. Does anyone have an opinion on handcrafted couches and whether they are more durable than what is typically available in furniture stores? I don't want to buy a $2,000+ sofa, but if it will not lose shape or fall apart in a few years, it will probably be worth it.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
The padding and fabric will wear over time, there's no avoiding that, but the frame of a handmade couch/sofa will be better made and more solid.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, there's a reason everyone says "they don't things like they used to"... I would have to agree that handcrafted (if it's someone who is a skilled craftsman) would likely produce a more durable product. You could even ask them to really reinforce the frame.
Now if it's the cushions that ends up sagging then I'm not sure...it all depends on what type of "stuffing" gets used. But if you get a solid frame, replacing the cushions for the frame would be cheaper than having to buy a whole new couch.

I've actually made the decision that the next time I need new couches, I will make or have made a low laying frame and use twin mattresses as the couch bottoms and over sized pillows for the back rests in an L shape for my living room. Sort of a bohemian lounging couch design....I like to relax!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I think handcrafted everything is worth it.. not just for durability, but to support businesses that don't produce shonky items made from reconstituted, dubious materials that are usually shipped from far away.
Sorry.. bit of a soapbox issue with me. :lol:

Last edited:

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've actually made the decision that the next time I need new couches, I will make or have made a low laying frame and use twin mattresses as the couch bottoms and over sized pillows for the back rests in an L shape for my living room. Sort of a bohemian lounging couch design....I like to relax!
Our main couch is a daybed that I reupholstered to look more couch-like, including making a cover for the top mattress. We used a box spring and a 6" gel memory foam mattress on top. (I would have used a pop-up trundle rather than a spring had I thought of it at the time.) We love it!

We are looking at new couches. Our second couch is at least 20 years old and belonged to my ex-mother-in-law. I am not sure how I got it, actually. I used fabric paint on it almost 6 years ago to make it dark gray rather than multicolored flowers and stripes on cream. I hate the thing. Now that our house is paid off, we have been thinking of things that could use an upgrade. This post has me thinking about what we are getting into!