Is Grinding Teeth Ever Nothing?

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have an 18 month old Maine Coon. He grinds his teeth every couple weeks. We took him to the doctor and had a full work up done including blood and urine and they said he’s completely healthy. He eats fine, he plays, and he can grind one minute and then eat dental crunchies the next. The vet said if we had a concern we could have a heart test run to make sure he could withstand anesthesia and then go under for a full dental work up but his gums and teeth did not look bad. Has anyone seen signs where grinding is nothing?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi. Just wanted to acknowledge your post. I have not looked it up myself, but could there be a feline form of bruxism?
Thanks For acknowledging it, I know bruxism is another word for teeth grinding, So I am sure it is that I just don’t know what’s causing it. I’m going to schedule another appointment for him on Saturday he is typical kitten material happy playful loving eating everything so it’s just odd. I worry about them so better safe than sorry.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does it seem to be related to anything? Like hacking up a hairball or having an empty stomach or something like that? Cats will grind their teeth when they feel nauseated, so it can happen before they throw up or various other reasons they have for feeling nauseated.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, the only experience I have with a cat grinding his teeth is when I had my Tom. He was sick and I had to force feed him with a syringe, and I remember him grinding at every little dose of wet food. I thought he had troubles with his mouth. The vet told me he was just showing his disapproval for being force fed.
I know this might not be your case, but this is what I know about this issue.

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does it seem to be related to anything? Like hacking up a hairball or having an empty stomach or something like that? Cats will grind their teeth when they feel nauseated, so it can happen before they throw up or various other reasons they have for feeling nauseated.
It doesn’t seem like it it’s very weird I’m going to go ahead and take a man like I said and I’ll probably pay to put him under to have his teeth cleaned and x-rayed to see if something is below the gum line. My concern is it might not fix anything and I’m going to just keep trying. We love him and if there’s a chance he’s in pain we won’t let him stay that way. Thanks for everyone weighing in!

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just meant if you had done an internet search on feline bruxism. I did and here are a couple of articles about it.

Cat Teeth Grinding Causes and Treatment Options | petMD
Cat Teeth Grinding — A Vet Weighs In
Thank you, he went to the vet today. They think he looks healthy but they want to do a dental cleaning. So we are going to test to be sure he undergo anesthesia safely. Then he will have his teeth cleaned. They are not sure that is what it is so I am crossing my fingers! We love him so much.