Is Friskies party mix naturals okay for my cat?

dribble926

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know that lots of pet foods made by Purina just aren't good in general, but Killer really loves this stuff, and it was pretty cheap. I've done a little bit of research but all I can seem to find is that it isn't good for older cats because it's rich and it gives them the runs.

Killer is technically a kitten still and I haven't noticed anything wrong with her at all. Shes always been very healthy, and I don't want to possibly harm her. Any advise? Anyone able to dig into the matter more than I?

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Just looked up the ingredients for this treat. They contain corn gluten meal and seaweed meal. Corn is one of the top allergens for pets (both dogs and cats) and is a really cheap filler.

As for the seaweed meal, I just don't know much about this. Maybe someone else can add to this?

As for whether or not this treat is ok to feed YOUR cat...really, that's up to you. Different people are going to have different criteria for food/treats.

I have cats with food allergies and have had cats that have had health problems related to diet, so avoid treats like this. I much prefer to feed them freeze-dried raw or meat only treats (like PureBites).

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
As for feeding this treat to a cat or kitten, I don't know the issue with this other than it is likely high in carbs, so more likely to lead to weigh gain if more than a *few* treats are given daily.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As for me, I have stopped feeding my kitties their favorite Temptations treats because they contain wheat and corn meal which are both very hyperallergenic. They are also probably GMO's.  Oreo used to have scabby itchy skin.  Now he doesn't.  Nat's allergies are much improved since switching to regular clay litter (was using Swheat Scoop) and getting rid of gluten in their diet.  I'd say it's best not to get them hooked on something that is ultimately not good for them. 

Last edited:

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By the way, organic catnip is a nice treat they all love!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

By the way, organic catnip is a nice treat they all love!
I totally agree with you, Ginny, about not getting cats hooked on unhealthy treats. We went through that with a cat who was fixated on Temptations. Our new cats get PureBites and similar treats but I try not to give them very often (or rationally!) because I don't want them to get too focused on them.

In the end, you're right: catnip is a great treat. Sometimes just tossing a catnip toy is the perfect thing. Our cats also think of their toothpaste as a treat, which is a nice plus!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's junk food. Like Cheetos
. A little junk food is fine but don't let him have too much.
Many big name brands of treats aren't healthy but as an occasional treat it is ok. Try to feed healthier treats if you can. 100% freeze dried meat or seafood treats are great. Pet stores (Petco, PetSmart, independent stores, etc) have these, sometimes in the dog treat aisle if there are none in the cat aisle. PureBites are a popular brand. There are other brands listed in this thread: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/313402/...ats-does-pure-bites-freeze-dried-shrimp-count Who knows, maybe your cat will find freeze dried treats even yummier than a "junky" treat

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Many big name brands of treats aren't healthy but as an occasional treat it is ok. Try to feed healthier treats if you can. 100% freeze dried meat or seafood treats are great. Pet stores (Petco, PetSmart, independent stores, etc) have these, sometimes in the dog treat aisle if there are none in the cat aisle. PureBites are a popular brand. There are other brands listed in this thread: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/313402/...ats-does-pure-bites-freeze-dried-shrimp-count Who knows, maybe your cat will find freeze dried treats even yummier than a "junky" treat

again!   I was about to say the same thing. Party Mix and Temptations are OK every now and then but I wouldn't give them too often. All 3 of mine love Pure Bites. They get them as a treat and crushed as a topper when they are being fussy which is all the time. Needless to say, I have a big (dog sized) bag on hand at all times. Pure Bites are ridiculously overpriced at Petco and Petsmart. In the cat treat aisle, a 1.09 ounce bag is $5.39. I have an 11 ounce bag of the ones for dogs in my Amazon subscribe and save order for February and it's $16.06 plus tax. I might have to get 2 at that price. We go through plenty of these. The only difference between the ones for cats and the ones for dogs is the size of the treat. They can be easily broken or crushed to use as a topper. It's just freeze dried chicken breast. Much healthier for your little carnivore

laura h

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I give them as  treats  once in a while. I have a variety of treats so I only use them once a week or so. And only 2-3 at a time. He only gets treats once a day.

Everything in moderation is my belief.