Is freeze-dried raw cat food safe if I'm pregnant?

Olly_Olly_Oxenfree

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We're getting a hypoallergenic cat soon (I have cat allergies and this was the only way I could have a cat in this lifetime) and the breeder says to avoid kibble (instead, use Stella & Chewy or similar). However, I saw FDA recalls for listeriosis. We're planning on having a baby in 2-3 years--what should I do re: feeding the cat if I'm pregnant (to avoid toxoplasmosis)? Give a bit of dry kibble (hide in puzzle toys) while still doing 2 cans wet food/day? I know the breeder says dry kibble is a no-no but I want to have a healthy baby/babies too someday.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Your breeder is right that kibble is generally not good for cats. If you feel weary doing raw then I would do an all canned food diet. A piece of kibble here and there as a treat is fine, but shouldn’t be a staple in the diet.

The risk with feeding raw food in terms of bacteria is much less than the major pet food companies and some vets would have you think. Cats can definitely handle the bacteria load. As for humans and babies, if you choose to go the raw route you just need to make sure you’re diligent about being clean. Sanitize and clean the same way as if you were preparing raw meat for yourself.

Toxoplasmosis is a risk with any cat, whether raw fed or not. However, I believe that the risk is much smaller than many think. If you get pregnant you’ll want to stay away from the litter box and make sure the box is safely away from your baby. Cats carry bacteria in their poop and when they eat raw food the bacteria load is higher.

To sum it up, although there are some risks to humans, especially babies and those with weak immune systems, with cats eating raw meat, the risk is not nearly as high as some may think, especially if you’re using safe practices to keep things clean. If you’re worried then an alternative is to feed canned food. You can still have a healthy kitty on an all canned food diet. There’s actually nothing that special about commercial freeze dried raw. A true raw diet consists of fresh meat, organs, and bones. If you’re not going to do that then just feed canned and ease your worries. :)

You can also do a mixture of freeze dried and canned now and then revisit in 2-3 years when you want to have a baby. At that point you can decide to remove the freeze dried raw.

Last edited:

JaneLuvsCats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had cats while I was pregnant with my son and he is now 21 years old. While I was pregnant, I wore a surgical mask. I'm sorry to say that I only had 1 surgical mask. My surgical mask only had dust in it, but 21 years ago litter was much more dusty. I did take it outside and not the dust out of it from time to time, which probably wasn't a good idea, but I would hold the mask at arm's length and turn my head away. I always washed my hands after handling cat litter.

1) I'd recommend a mask and if you're extremely concerned gloves. Always wash your hands. 2) Have someone else clean the cat litter.

I did find a link for the CDC about it.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I should also point out that concerns with bacteria are not limited to raw meat. Raw veggies are also a concern when pregnant and dry cat kibble is also high in bacteria. Especially if it’s sitting on the shelf for a while. I think the bottom line is to have good hygiene and be sanitary. You can’t shield yourself or your baby from all bacteria but there are things you can do to reduce risks.