Is Flea Treatment Really Necessary For A Strictly Indoor Cat?

Moonlight_wolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’ve been treating my cat with revolution monthly but she’s an indoor cat so I am just wondering if it’s necessary.

It’s not buying the flea medicine that bothers me, it’s that I’m always paranoid that she is going to have an adverse reaction to the medicine. I always monitor her and tend to forget how fast she breathes normally and so then I over analyze and think maybe she’s breathing faster than usual and I basically just worry too much. ‍♀

So I was just wondering if it’s even necessary to medicate her for fleas if she’s never outside and really doesn’t have contact with any other animals.

Thoughts?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I admit I don't treat my indoor cats but I know it is a risk. Indoor cats can get fleas, usually by way of us bringing them in from outside. If it turns into a full blown infestation inside it can be a drawn out process to get rid of them. I have been fortunate in that it hasn't happened to me yet but I know that it could happen.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I don't treat the indoor animals with the exception of the dog who is very reactive to even one flea bite....but he goes outside whereas the cats do not. It is sort of a judgment call on your part, but I have never had a flea infestation inside despite not treating the cats. My reasoning is that any flea treatment of that sort is a chemical that might not be necessary and one of my vets did agree with me on that.

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think it partly depends on where you live and if fleas are active year round. I have three cats and alternate so no one gets treated every month. So far that has worked for me.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve been treating my cat with revolution monthly but she’s an indoor cat so I am just wondering if it’s necessary.

It’s not buying the flea medicine that bothers me, it’s that I’m always paranoid that she is going to have an adverse reaction to the medicine. I always monitor her and tend to forget how fast she breathes normally and so then I over analyze and think maybe she’s breathing faster than usual and I basically just worry too much. ‍♀

So I was just wondering if it’s even necessary to medicate her for fleas if she’s never outside and really doesn’t have contact with any other animals.

Thoughts?
I dont treat my indoor kitty either...unless I see a flea or he scratching alot..then I take him to the vet n get checked out for fleas..if No fleas...I DONT treat whats NOT there...So No I dont treat my boy n hes totally indoors..but u can bring them in on ure shoes etc...But I personally feel u can over medicate...Especially when u r doing flea prevention...Ive been lucky with my boy..hes only had fleas once in his life...knock on wood...n hes 11yrs n ive had him since he was a kitten...

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't treat the indoor animals with the exception of the dog who is very reactive to even one flea bite....but he goes outside whereas the cats do not. It is sort of a judgment call on your part, but I have never had a flea infestation inside despite not treating the cats. My reasoning is that any flea treatment of that sort is a chemical that might not be necessary and one of my vets did agree with me on that.
I totally agree.....my vet doesnt agree either with my choice...I also agree its a judgment call on the owners part

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise

Thoughts?
Yes I think it could be too much for ure kitty doing it every month...I feel that YES if cat has fleas...but as soon as fleas are gone...Stop...cause that is very strong Stuff...No fleas...why treat something thats NOT there...I think it NOT be healthy for ure kitty...Doing that everymonth...

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Flea treatments have a wide margin for safety. Especially the older ones. The newer ones I don’t trust because they go off market and come back on market with a different name and we’re supposed to forget about all the adverse reactions with the old formula.

If you don’t have fleas and you don’t have other animals who can go outside, you are probably okay not treating your indoor only cats for fleas.

However, if they do get fleas, don’t assume a single treatment is all that’s needed. And don’t assume your single treatment didn’t work if you still have fleas. You may have to treat your cats for several months until all the immature stages of the flea lifecycle have matured and died or been cleaned away with regular cleaning ritual you will establish if you want to end the infestation.

If you live in an area that gets cold winters, you can probably also just treat your cats during the warmer months only.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Where do you live? I'm in an area that does not have a huge flea problem, and I've never treated any of my indoor cats for fleas. Even the ones who came in from being outdoor cats didn't bring fleas with them.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I went for over 30 years without one of my cats getting fleas, but then boom - out of no where Feeby got them. We have no other pets and nothing has changed in our outside environment (as far as I know anyway) in years and years.

At 15+ yo, Feeby went ballistic and totally freaked out. She had no idea what was happening to her and it helped to take a toll on her health. It has also been a process to get rid of them, but I think we are pretty much at the end of them (closing in on 3 months). However, Feeby has a ways to go to get back to her normal self, if ever.

Theoretically, I could go another 30 years without getting them, but I won't know because Feeby will be getting flea treatments (Adv II) for the rest of her life. She/We are not going through that again.

Last edited:

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've deal with a flea problem and I've crashed my car. If I could only choose one, I'd treat the cats before I'd insure the car.

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have one cat that is allergic to fleas and while she doesn’t get the medication every month when she starts to itch we treat her and it gets better so even though both cats are indoor only she is getting fleas from somewhere.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
We don’t do preventative flea treatment in our indoor cats. We lived in an apartment near San Francisco a few years ago and there was a treatment-resistant strain of fleas that were very bad that year. Either we tracked some in from the park or else the dogs in the apartment complex had them but it was a nightmare. We treated monthly using a special prescription flea medication because Advantage II wasn’t working on these fleas. We constantly treated the carpets, blankets etc, used flea sprays on the carpets, threw out the cat furniture and nothing worked, the fleas came back the next cycle. We finallly got rid of them when we moved to a house with all hardwood floors.

Even with that nightmare, we don’t treat monthly. We are in houses now, so no apartment dwelling dogs to increase the risk. If they start getting fleas though, I would start treating more preventively. Our new girl Olive is also allergic so we should know right away.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your cat visits vets fairly often for any health issues or check-ups, it's a good idea to give them flea meds, in my view. You or your kitty can certainly bring home fleas (or just one flea! that's all it takes) from a vet's office -- from the waiting room, the exam rooms, the lab area.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not treat my cats. I live in an apartment- 7 years. No problems. I face a huge yard

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s not buying the flea medicine that bothers me, it’s that I’m always paranoid that she is going to have an adverse reaction to the medicine.
I mean, the likelihood of suddenly developing a reaction after using the product all this time is so very slim. That being said, that is my least favorite thing to be asked as a veterinary assistant/receptionist. It is just so hard to say. If I tell you not to bother, then your cat has fleas next month, it is my fault. If I tell you yes use it every month then you think I am trying to take your money lol.

Fleas can come in the house without the pet going outside. Flea eggs and larvae can lay dormant in your house for months. Revolution also treats for heartworms which comes from mosquitos which can get into your house. Some things to think about.